Go Down

Topic: Alarm System & Arduino LTE communicator (Read 11224 times) previous topic - next topic

metallo

Hi guys,

I am totally new to Arduino and how to program it, therefore before I jump into the learning part on how to program, I want to be sure I can achieve the following project.

I am designing an alarm system which will use as a main  central panel a DSC HS2032 card.
The entire system will be wired, including all the sensors.

The main problem I am facing is the communication, in fact, all the communicators for pro-systems are designed to be monitored by a monitoring company.
Well, I want to self-monitor my system in case the alarm is triggered by any of my sensors.

Basically, if one of the wired sensors is triggered, I want to use 4G/LTE cellular communication to send an SMS and/or voice call to my cell number + some additional numbers.
Of course, if my number is busy, it should automatically call the next number and so on.

I can see that cards like the SIM7600CE can do the job, but I need to better understand how the whole process would work.

I mean, the sensors are connected to the central panel, the Arduino shield card has to be connected to the communicator pins of the HS2032 to be powered.

Is it realistic to have the Arduino shield to dial in to my cell, once one of the sensors is triggered?

Has anybody in this forum developed the same type of project?
In the affirmative, which Arduino card would you suggest? Uno? Mega? Any other?

I was also thinking to add video stream, but I know Raspberry would be a better option than Arduino.

I am aware this will require a lot of effort on my end as I am new to programming Arduino, but there is nothing ready made on the market that does what I just described.

Any help/suggestion is very welcome.

Thank you!

Alex

lastchancename

What you want to is completely feasible.
Have a look ar www.sl4p.net, and think about those units.
Come back and ask questions if it will help.
I've started using the SIM 7600 for a couple of months now, and it's a nice chip.

Basically
SIM card in
Power on
Put PIN if configured
Wait for registration on a local cell
You're ready to go

Your own code needs to consider a few things-
Signal strength
Day & Time of day if needed
Input stares and change of state
A list of possible recipients
and so on.

If you're receiving messages too, there's a few more things you need to handle.

One thing I noticed recently, the SMS send cycle has been quite slow due to increased cell traffic during CV19...  normally 1-3 seconds, I've seen it run out to 2-3 minutes in the last few days.  ( I timeout after 15 secs as a failed message)
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

metallo

What you want to is completely feasible.
Have a look ar www.sl4p.net, and think about those units.
Come back and ask questions if it will help.
I've started using the SIM 7600 for a couple of months now, and it's a nice chip.

Basically
SIM card in
Power on
Put PIN if configured
Wait for registration on a local cell
You're ready to go

Your own code needs to consider a few things-
Signal strength
Day & Time of day if needed
Input stares and change of state
A list of possible recipients
and so on.

If you're receiving messages too, there's a few more things you need to handle.

One thing I noticed recently, the SMS send cycle has been quite slow due to increased cell traffic during CV19...  normally 1-3 seconds, I've seen it run out to 2-3 minutes in the last few days.  ( I timeout after 15 secs as a failed message)
Thank you for your reply.

I notice that the few information refer to Australia, I am in Canada, likely different frequencies/bands.

Is this just an example to show how that works or should I simply use the card for NA and the rest stays the same?

Alex

lastchancename

AFAIK, you can use the same approach for the US/CA variants.
When the modem registers to the network at power on, it will search within the bands configured for that model.
It's all automatic unless you choose to specify a band / carrier but that's not necessary.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

metallo

www.sl4p.net are they a company or it is an individual who has developed the product and sell it directly?

I mean, there is no price info or anything else.

Who are they?

Alex

lastchancename

There are several online sellers that package the SIMCOM modem shields

I use TinySine in China - say hello to TIM from Michael in Australia
https://www.tinyosshop.com/

Go Up