Go Down

Topic: Project 10 with a Bigger Motor not Working (Read 5029 times) previous topic - next topic

emh117

So I just finished Project 10 (Zoetrope) in the Arduino Projects book, and I wanted to see if I could use a larger motor. I tore apart my cordless drill and got an 18 V DC motor. The battery I'm using is also from the drill, 18 V and 1.3 amp-hours. I plugged them in the same way that the project specifies. When I try running the program the motor will turn on, but it won't begin spinning no matter how far I turn the potentiometer. I'm thinking it's more of a coding issue? I've got a picture of the setup for reference. Could really use some help!

emh117

So I just finished Project 10 (Zoetrope) in the Arduino Projects book, and I wanted to see if I could use a larger motor. I tore apart my cordless drill and got an 18 V DC motor. The battery I'm using is also from the drill, 18 V and 1.3 amp-hours. I plugged them in the same way that the project specifies. When I try running the program the motor will turn on, but it won't begin spinning no matter how far I turn the potentiometer. I'm thinking it's more of a coding issue? I've got a picture of the setup for reference. Could really use some help!

emh117

vinceherman

Oh please stop.
Unless you like letting out the magic smoke that makes electronics work.
The chip that you are using probably has a max of about 1a per channel.
That motor pulls MUCH more than one amp.

You need to look into motor drivers that can handle the larger current draw.

slipstick

So you think it's a coding issue...but you haven't posted any code?

But that's o.k. because as vinceherman says it's a power problem, nothing to do with coding. You have a motor driver IC that can handle less than 1A and motor that needs a lot more than that.

Steve

blh64

Many modern cordless drills use brushless DC motors.  Those need to be controlled with a dedicated driver chip, not like a regular DC motor that just takes power

emh117

emh117

Thanks for the advice, this is all pretty new to me and I was unaware of how essential a motor driver is.

UKHeliBob

3 duplicate topics merged

Cross-posting is against the rules of the forum. The reason is that duplicate posts can waste the time of the people trying to help. Someone might spend 15 minutes (or more) writing a detailed answer on this topic, without knowing that someone else already did the same in the other topic.

Repeated cross-posting will result in a suspension from the forum.

In the future, please take some time to pick the forum board that best suits the topic of your question and then only post once to that forum board. This is basic forum etiquette, as explained in the sticky "How to use this forum - please read." post you will find at the top of every forum board. It contains a lot of other useful information. Please read it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Please take the next 24 hours to consider what a nuisance cross posting is
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Go Up