Go Down

Topic: Mowing Robot... From the Couch (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jthawkins2001

I decided to start my own arduino mower project, with a twist.

Rather than have it be radio controlled, I'm using a joystick for now (Eventually steering wheel and gas pedals), with a live streaming cam.

The plan is to be able to control it from my couch at home, and mow the lawn from inside (Where it isn't 100 degrees).

Follow progress at my blog:
http://mowstation.blogspot.com

keeper63

I decided to start my own arduino mower project, with a twist.

Rather than have it be radio controlled, I'm using a joystick for now (Eventually steering wheel and gas pedals), with a live streaming cam.

The plan is to be able to control it from my couch at home, and mow the lawn from inside (Where it isn't 100 degrees).

Follow progress at my blog:
http://mowstation.blogspot.com

Make sure you build in plenty safety backup systems and such; you should be designing this part first, actually (nobody wants a driverless mower on a runaway - you need to have some method to both stop it on-board (a big red stop button), as well as remotely stop it, as well as automatically stopping it when a fault is detected; restart should require a physical human to be present).

Something else you will -definitely- need will be more than a single camera, and possibly one or more of those cameras having a head-tracking interface. You'll need such a system so that you can look around and help avoid obstacles; you might also want the main camera to have a wide-angle lens to cover a larger field of view (normal camera lenses have fairly narrow FOVs). You may even want a set of cameras hooked up to show you external views of your mower as you mow.

You'll want plenty of proximity sensors (both contactless and physical contact switches), with feedback to your interface in case you miss something with your cameras. Sound feedback would be nice (the higher fidelity the better), along with something to detect blade strikes.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

jthawkins2001

Safety was definitely one of my major concerns as soon as I drove the robot into the drywall in my basement :)

It has the following failsafe measures:

*Power Off Switch on robot (Actually 3 available switches, Cut Power / Turn off Wheel Chair / Disable Connection between Chair and Arduino)
*Router -> Arduino Failsafe, If the robot goes 200ms without a signal from the router, it cuts power to the motors
*Base Station Kill Switch -> Button on remote joystick that will kill power to the chair

I like the idea of a wide angled cam.  I will definitely add that.  Also, The camera I have now is on a turret system, so I can use it to look up down left and right (from the hat switch on the joystick... not head mounted, but works pretty well.)

Proximity sensors seem like a good idea for the future.  For now I'll probably do a contact switch to the motors.

bld

Safety was definitely one of my major concerns as soon as I drove the robot into the drywall in my basement :)

It has the following failsafe measures:

*Power Off Switch on robot (Actually 3 available switches, Cut Power / Turn off Wheel Chair / Disable Connection between Chair and Arduino)
*Router -> Arduino Failsafe, If the robot goes 200ms without a signal from the router, it cuts power to the motors
*Base Station Kill Switch -> Button on remote joystick that will kill power to the chair

I like the idea of a wide angled cam.  I will definitely add that.  Also, The camera I have now is on a turret system, so I can use it to look up down left and right (from the hat switch on the joystick... not head mounted, but works pretty well.)

Proximity sensors seem like a good idea for the future.  For now I'll probably do a contact switch to the motors.

About the proximity sensors, use ping sensors, the IR ones does not like sunlight, and does not have the same range.
captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

vinhtvu2

OoohHH! I was coming here looking for ideas of this exact project!!!!!!!!

Go Up