Go Down

Topic: Step down the voltage (Read 2131 times) previous topic - next topic

tmalik

hello to all,

we are using power supply of PC to power our project which is Robotic arm. can anyone please help me out that how can we step down the voltages (12V) to (5V). By using Buck converter it gets heated.

We are using 5 servos. so please suggest some easy ways.
thanks

UKHeliBob

Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

tmalik

i potsted it publically.
can you help me out that which regulator should i use? L7806 regulator is also a option but it drops the current. how to avoid this? i dont want to drop the current with voltage.

slipstick

DC-DC (buck) converter is the right thing. You just need one that can deliver enough current..and don't overload it.

Or you could use more than one converter and split the servos to different ones.

Steve

tmalik

May 07, 2020, 07:21 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:35 pm by tmalik
buck converter will not drop the current?
as we are using power supply which has 12V. we use this regulator to step down the voltage to 6V. but it also drops the current rating. and low current will not be suitable for motors.

senderene

we are using power supply of PC to power our project which is Robotic arm. can anyone please help me out that how can we step down the voltages (12V) to (5V).
A PC power supply also has a 5V rail; why can't you use that?

tmalik

@Sendrene
thanks for help.
 can you please guide me that how to use the rail?

tmalik

but sorry i forgot, we need 6V for our servos. then please suggest a effective way.

senderene

You could use multiple buck converters, as it was suggested.
You wire them in parallel.
You can group a couple of servos per converter, or just use one servo per converter

CrossRoads

Look at stepdown converters at Pololu.com as I suggested in your other similar post that was asking about 12V to 6V.

I would combine that here, but am having an issue getting it to work.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

vinceherman

but am having an issue getting it to work.
CrossRoads can't figure it out.
We have truly entered the end times.
:-P

vinceherman

May 08, 2020, 12:44 am Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:46 am by vinceherman
i have used these for a few projects.

output voltage can be configured.

tmalik

@CrossRoads
thankyou for your reply, Yes i visited that site and i found 2 regulators hope so that will work for us,

tmalik

@VinceHerman
Thankyou for your reply,

can you please tell me its name. i can't find it on internet.

Go Up