Go Down

Topic: it's OK that anybody can post - is there a well sorted list of small tutorials? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

StefanL38

Hi everybody,

as the title already states: it is 100% OK for me that there is a place where anybody can post any code for introductional purposes. Me personal I don't like to search dozens of search-results each containing the word for example "serial" to find a tutorial that explains the basics and not any specialties. So is there somewhere a well sorted list of introductional tutorials about basic programming techniques that show a bit more as the short examples of the language-reference but less than complete projects?

I mean things like serial communication:
how to receive a single character with timeout
how to receive a single character and handle the terminating new line / carriage return or both
how to receive (and store multiple characters the save way into an array of char

how to code a for loop,

how to code a while loop 

how to code a do while loop

oh by the way I came across this while-loop tutorial.
But it is NOT a while-loop-tutorial it is an "first-your-need-to-buy-electronic-components-to-do-this-tutorial"-tutorial.

Sure Arduino is always used in combination with some other hardware. But programming-tutorials should be hardware-independent. Why do newbees have to buy all kinds of hardware to proceed in programming?

So back to my question is there somewhere a well sorted list of small tutorials each showing ONE small functionality bigger than a single command and smaller than a "project"?

best regards  

Stefan 
any newbee can apply the most professional habit right from the start:
 add only ONE thing at a time. Debug that ONE thing until that ONE thing works reliable - repeat.
Newbee: become a professional by following this rule.

ballscrewbob

Did you not see the tutorials section on the way down here ?

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

StefanL38

Hi ballscrewbob,

thank you for answering.

Visiting the tutorial-section was the reason to write this question.  :o
Again it is 100% OK for me that there is a place where anybody can post any kind of (more or less tutorial intended code) 
But I'm sorry this tutorial-section is a wild, huge and unsorted pile of "I guess somebody will find this code useful"-postings. This may sound contradictory. But I have this opinion: It's Ok that there is this tutorial-section. And I'm looking for a well sorted collection of small tutorials. Maybe these small tutorials don't exist. Maybe it has something to do with my age. Recently I was looking a YT-"tutorial" titled "Creating a Zoom-meeting in ten minutes" The guy was hunting through all the options of zoom the first six minutes in a very sloppy style without saying anything what was related to the title "create a zoom-meeting". Somehow I'm thinking if you were grown up as a native digital maybe they simply don't KNOW how a well structured lecture is done, because they have always just watched youtube-boys and girls talking fast like telling something on a party and the rest of their communication is "whatsApping" and "Instagramming".  =dropping short sentences :o

OK I decide to go back to googling - the whole web - not only forum.arduino.cc
any way thanks for answering.
best regards  

Stefan 
 add only ONE thing at a time. Debug that ONE thing until that ONE thing works reliable - repeat.

StefanL38

OK google is your friend. I have found what I was looking for:

A well structured collection of small lectures explaining how to code for Arduino
https://startingelectronics.org/software/arduino/learn-to-program-course/

best regards  

Stefan 

StefanL38

So I'm willing to contribute to this tutorial-section through giving a heads up to a website that has a well structured collection of lectures explaining coding for arduino.

Be warned if you are a friend of quick and dirty try this - try that 
if it does not work ask this - ask that     - - -  You will be extremly unhappy with this course. 

It is well structured. It is hardware-independent.
It explains in a very classical easy to understand way and in detail how things work.
In a sequence that makes sense.

best regards  

Stefan 

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

I think everything is here and hopefully in one spot.

Not a great fan of similar topics being spread around like confetti at a wedding.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

srnet

It is well structured. It is hardware-independent.

Well the first example I looked at used int to define a variable.

Now an int is 16bit on some Arduinos and 32bit on others, a lot of the time it makes no difference .........
No PMs please, they dont get answered.

StefanL38

Hi srnet,

that's a good catch. I will comment that to the author. Hardware-independent meant as electronic-components-independent. The course requieres an original arduino-uno 
best regards  

Stefan 

Go Up