Go Down

Topic: After Fedora 32 upgrade - serial monitor no longer works (Read 344 times) previous topic - next topic

bgee11

On a computer with Fedora 31 that was working with the Arduino ...  I upgraded to Fedora 32.  Now the IDE will start, but it throws errors during startup.  When I click on the Open Serial Monitor button, it throws more errors.

The system is Fedora 32, 64-bit, with 16gb of memory.  Arduino IDE is version 1.8.12-3 as installed from the Fedora repository.  The Arduino is a Pro-Mini, 3.3 volt and 8 mhz.

The FTDI cable is detected as /dev/ttyUSB0.  That is the port and device selected in preferences.txt.  That port shows up in the IDE list of ports.

I verified that my user account is a member of the Linux group "dialout".  No change was needed as that setting carried over from Fedora 31.

I looked over the "Read First" document on this subforum.  Nothing jumped out at me, except perhaps that my user account is not a member of the tty group.  However, that is not a change!  That was also the case on Fedora 31 when everything was working.

As far as I can tell, nothing else is trying to grab /dev/USB0.  Is there a way to tell if some other process has claimed it?  At first I could see the gpsd was claiming the device, but I have stopped and uninstalled that service, and I have rebooted the computer.

When I plug the FTDI cable into the Arduino, it lights up and starts running the sketch is as stored.  I can tell that because of the pattern of LED flashes.  Also, that sketch stores data on a MicroSD card, and I can see that the file is getting new data.

The attached file is text containing dumps from /var/log/messages and from the Arduino IDE.

Any suggestions?  Is there a way to find out if some other process has claimed /dev/ttyUSB0?

Thanks - Bill Gee

bgee11

Update - Just for grins, I installed the "snap" version of the Arduino IDE.  It works!  The overhead is huge, and I am EXTREMELY reluctant to continue using it.  It consumes something like 5 gig of memory just to have the serial monitor running.  Sheesh, talk about bloat!  It also does not respect the various user interface settings I have made, such as colors and widget styles.

Virtual applications like snap are - in my mind - an answer looking for a question.

Since I cannot see inside the snap package, I cannot tell what it is doing different from the native IDE package. 

It is also worth noting that this behavior happens on several computers.  It seems there is something about Fedora 32 that breaks the IDE package - or perhaps the package for Fedora 32 is broken.  Something is not right, and I have no clue where to look.

Bill Gee

sterretje

Can't really help but the snap version is, to my knowledge, an extremely outdated version of the IDE.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

bgee11

The snap package is version 1.8.12, which is the same version that is in the Fedora native repository.  I installed it using the "snap" command ...

snap install arduino

Bill Gee

bgee11

In the absence of any better information, I decided to try installing the IDE direct from Arduino.cc.  I first uninstalled the Fedora 32 package.  Then I downloaded the tar file, exploded it, ran the install.sh file (as root - did not work as a normal user) and tested.  It works as it should.  There are no Java errors at startup, and the serial monitor opens up.

I can only conclude that the Fedora 32 RPM package is defective somehow.  This gets me up and running, so the immediate problem is solved.  Over the long term, I will have to watch for updates myself rather than assuming DNF can do it.

Bill Gee

sterretje

Great.

Personally I don't care about updates of the IDE; still running IDE 1.8.5 (on Windows 10).

Newer is not always better.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up