Go Down

Topic: MCP42x1 with the outputs wired in parallel (Read 68 times) previous topic - next topic

jamestc

Hello,

I would like to know if I can wire the output pins of the MCP42x1 digital potentiometer in parallel like you would do with 2 power supplies to achieve a higher current output.

If so, should both pins be set exactly the same on one to the desired voltage and the other to a slightly higher voltage.

I read in the link below the following thing:

The output voltage controls of one power supply should be set to the desired output voltage (CV); the other power supplies should be set for a slightly higher output voltage. The supplies with the higher output voltage setting will provide constant current output, and will drop their output voltage until it equals the output of the CV supply.
keysight info about connection power supplies in parallel

Datasheet: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/22060b.pdf

Railroader

It looks like it could work. Note that the maximum current for that device is only 2.5 mA. Maybe use an amplifier also?
Parallelling 2 powersupplies like that has the disadvantage that one supply always runs at its maximum. I would prefer splitting the load in such a way that parallelling is not needed, or get a more powerful powersupply.
Use Your knowledge. If that's not enough, look for education.
Having knowledge, think outside the box to gain more of it. Only trains run like the train, on the rails. The rest run between the rails.

Paul__B

You appear to be badly confusing a digital potentiometer with a power supply - there is no resemblance!

This is the classic "XY Problem".

Please ask the right question.  "I need to do xxx - what is the best way to do it?"

Go Up