Go Down

Topic: Remotely open/close A/C grill for room temperature control (Read 152 times) previous topic - next topic

wolby

Hello,

This is my first post, don´t be too harsh on me. Thanks for all the knowledge that is already in the discussions.

Problem: I need to be able to move the lever that controls the open/close mechanism of my AC grills in each room. I attach a video so you can see what I need. The movement is fully linear, and there is not much resistance.

Why?. The AC thermostat is in the living room which is facing West, while the rooms are facing East. As a result, the temperature difference at the hottest time of the day can reach +5º celsius. If I turn the AC on, either I don´t feel it or die of cold. The A/C is old, hence I can´t add more thermostats.

By manually controlling the grid I am able to get to confort temperature everywhere, but for that I need to go and grab a ladder and it´s very unconvincing.

what have i tried? I am trying to control it with a Servo, but can´t find the way to attach it to produce the movement I need. I then thought about a linear actuator but it´s too expensive for the  budget of this project. I don´t have a 3D printer and given we are in a full lock-down can´t get someone to print for me.

I have my temperature network running on zigbee and some Bluetooth sensors, and I have also developed the basic system that connects to my NodeMCU and sends orders to (as of right now) servo.

How would you recommend me to move that thing?!? Or what fully different approach would you consider (I have also think about building an attachment cover that closes it completely)

Thanks!

zoomkat

"I attach a video so you can see what I need."

Don't see it. You may need to reference the video as a link using the link tool in the tool bar above.
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

japreja

How would you recommend me to move that thing?!? Or what fully different approach would you consider (I have also think about building an attachment cover that closes it completely)

Without seeing an image or video of the movement you need, I can only guess that any servo or stepper should be able to control the register vents.  You will most likely need a pushrod to get the full motion you are seeking.  Looking at my registers, I need about an inch of travel of an actuator to fully open and close the register vents.

wolby

I am really sorry, I thought the video could be added as an attachment.

Here is a link to youtube.

https://youtu.be/gIe6AmILgQg

You will most likely need a pushrod to get the full motion you are seeking.
This sounds very promising, re-searching in this direction now.

Thanks a lot

zoomkat

You may need to modify the damper so it operates easier. Otherwise you may need a very large servo to operate as is.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

dougp

re video:

If it's just open/closed what about one of these?
I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

wolby

You may need to modify the damper so it operates easier
That was going to be my first approach, but I am renting and to modify it I need to remove it and the way they put it is very complicated not to damage anything

If it's just open/closed what about one of these?
Thanks, that looks actually quite good. I see a challenge attaching it to the grill but that´s easier to figure out. I can´t find a small one in Amazon.es, but I can order from Aliexpress (and wait for two months ehhe).

Thanks!

MarkT

I am really sorry, I thought the video could be added as an attachment.
I believe new posters cannot post attachments in their first post for spam-prevention reasons...
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

zoomkat

"That was going to be my first approach, but I am renting and to modify it I need to remove it and the way they put it is very complicated not to damage anything"

You might leave the damper open and make an external cardboard flap operated by a servo to cover/uncover the vent grate.

Go Up