Go Down

Topic: Python GUI to edit and re-upload sketch to Arduino (Read 926 times) previous topic - next topic

harris_mier

Hello,
I am using an Arduino pro micro to run the keyboard library to create a small keyboard which has keys that can be reassigned to different key codes.

I have found the keycodes I need and it works well but I have to open the Arduino IDE and edit the code manually to change the key strokes that are sent for each key

Is there a way to create a GUI, in python for example, that others can run and perminently change the key strokes sent without having to download and open the Arduino IDE?

Many thanks

Riva

Short answer is yes.
Store the keystrokes in EEPROM memory and have your sketch check for properly formatted data from Serial to update them, then you can use a simple terminal to send the formatted commands with keycodes in.
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

Robin2

Is there a way to create a GUI, in python for example, that others can run and perminently change the key strokes sent without having to download and open the Arduino IDE?
Your Title mentions re-uploading the Arduino program which is different from your text which only refers to updating keystroke data on the Arduino.

Both are possible. I suspect that you would prefer to send new keystroke data without re-uploading the complete Arduino program. As @Riva has said the keystroke data can be stored in the Arduino's EEPROM memory.

The business of writing a Python GUI program is beyond the scope of this Forum but it is perfectly possible for a Python program to send data to an Arduino program and then for the Arduino program to save the appropriate keystroke data into its EEPROM.

This Simple Python - Arduino demo may help.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

harris_mier

Thank you, thats very helpful. It gives me a starting point at least

Go Up