Go Down

Topic: Silicon diode as voltage step down  (Read 757 times) previous topic - next topic

PerryBebbington

Well, I'm planning to use Mini Automotive Blade Fuse. Is it ok or HRC fuses must be used?
I personally think automotive blade fuses are horrible things, but they seem to do their job so maybe I am just expressing a personal preference. For ~14V I don't think you are going to sustain an arc if the fuse blows, so probably OK. For higher DC voltages I would only consider a HRC fuse to ensure any arc is extinguished (they have quartz sand (or something) in them).

larryd

The neighbour lady installed two 'silicone' ones they work just fine.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Paul__B

Can't say I would be entirely happy with the dynamics, I would be very suspicious of the "feel" of the interface.  :smiley-roll:

larryd

Jun 01, 2020, 01:58 am Last Edit: Jun 01, 2020, 01:58 am by larryd
Being married, can only look from a distance. ???

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

raschemmel

I have some hands on experience in that area.
It's pretty subjective ...

Tom-4

I have some hands on experience in that area.
It's pretty subjective ...
What do u mean?

raschemmel

Jun 01, 2020, 06:18 am Last Edit: Jun 01, 2020, 06:22 am by raschemmel
If you have to ask... you're too young.

AJLElectronics

Only skim read this thread, but is there any reason why a buck/boost regulator could not feed a decent pass transistor for the current?

Tom-4

Only skim read this thread, but is there any reason why a buck/boost regulator could not feed a decent pass transistor for the current?
Simply.... there's no reliable and cheap buck converter which can handle 8 amp job!

6v6gt

Simply.... there's no reliable and cheap buck converter which can handle 8 amp job!
Post #11 clearly contradicts this. Maybe @PerryBebbington can provide some links. I'm also curious about this.

AJLElectronics

You might like to re-read my response?

AJLElectronics

I still say we need a "like" button. ;-)

PerryBebbington

Post #11 clearly contradicts this. Maybe @PerryBebbington can provide some links. I'm also curious about this.
I really don't see the need, I typed buck boost converter 10A into Amazon and got loads of them, some under £10. No idea if they are reliable...

As you seem unable to do this here's an example, there are loads more buck boost 10A

Tom-4

I really don't see the need, I typed buck boost converter 10A into Amazon and got loads of them, some under £10. No idea if they are reliable...

As you seem unable to do this here's an example, there are loads more buck boost 10A
I don't trust shity Chinese things on amazon, eBay or on whatever it is.

AJLElectronics

I personally think automotive blade fuses are horrible things, but they seem to do their job so maybe I am just expressing a personal preference.
I would agree with you Perry. I am sure that the original design with quality manufacture was fine, but the aftermarket fuses are nothing short of horrible. A main part of my business is restoration of classic cars and I have lost count of the number of melted fuses I have seen. That's not melted wire, but a blob of molten plastic caused by a slightly corroded socket.

They are only surpassed in "horribleness" by Inch and quarter glass fuses. Again, no issue with quality manufacture, but the Prince of Darkness replacement fuseboxes have spring ears which don't and the fuse element in aftermarket fuses is often disconnected at one end inside the cap where you can't see it.

I'm not sure what the answer is, frankly.

Go Up