Go Down

Topic: Mopeds (Read 2363 times) previous topic - next topic

PerryBebbington

50 or more years ago there was a thing called a 'moped'. A moped was a bicycle fitted with a small engine, up to 50cc, that assisted the rider in peddling but was not generally powerful enough to propel the moped by itself. Well, it wasn't in the original incarnation but then the Japanese came along and the moped became a small motorcycle, perfectly capable of reasonable speeds with no need to pedal at all. In the UK (I don't know about other countries) it was a legal requirement that a moped be fitted with pedals by means of which it could be propelled. There was nothing in the specification that said the pedals must be easy to use or convenient. UK mopeds had pedals, they were very awkward to use and you'd rather push the thing than pedal it. No matter, they complied with the law.

Now we have a new kind of moped. It's a bicycle and it's fitted with a propulsion device to assist the rider in pedalling, but is not capable of being entirely self propelled. How long before electric bikes become electric motorbikes?

Robin2

Jun 02, 2020, 10:52 am Last Edit: Jun 02, 2020, 10:53 am by Robin2
but is not capable of being entirely self propelled.
The electric bikes that I see in use can be entirely power propelled while the battery lasts.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

I thought the law was changed Perry.

Know they first made the pedals easily removable in exchange for footpegs and the mopeds I had were without pedals at all.

They could also be tuned for some crazy speeds out of a 50cc engine
My brother had a race tuned Garelli capable of 90+ mph

Only real restriction was not allowed on motorways at that time which was maybe just as well !

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

CrossRoads

Jun 03, 2020, 04:27 pm Last Edit: Jun 03, 2020, 04:28 pm by CrossRoads
Electric motorbikes are already out.
Segway dirtbike example

Can't tell who the manufacturer is on this one

http://www.saferwholesale.com/New-2000-Watt-Electric-Motorcycle-Moped-Sc-p/bdt-581z.htm?vfsku=BDT.581Z&Click=35179
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

PerryBebbington

Jun 03, 2020, 05:11 pm Last Edit: Jun 03, 2020, 05:13 pm by PerryBebbington
I thought the law was changed Perry.
It was, I don't know when. When I was 16, which was 1977, the law was that a moped had to have an engine under 50cc and pedals by means of which it could be propelled. Fitting foot pegs was not an option. However, the pedals could be swung round so they were both in the same horizontal position and served as foot pegs. The loophole in the law was that you could propel the bike with the pedals, not that the pedals must be at all times in a position where they could be used. Of course, they were never used except at the MOT test to prove they worked.

It was also legal at 16 to drive a tractor on the road. I now regret not doing that. Red diesel (probably free from my dad) and cheap insurance. Oh well.

ballscrewbob

Oh and you could keep getting the "provisional" license ad infinitum at that point too.

We often did two up to the east coast on ours to sleep out near Scarborough lighthouse.
Bin bags and a sleeping bag were all you needed and the chips or a cheap brekky in the morning to quell the night befores beer.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Budvar10

Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

GoForSmoke

I saw Benelli's, Vespa's and mini-bikes with 49cc motors in the 60's.

You put a motor that turns a freewheeling roller so the roller is on the bicycle rear tire and lets it roll forward, pushes it forward when the motor runs. No chains or gears required.

In 77-78 I saw Honda mopeds that were governed to go no faster than 35MPH even down steep hills and no slower than about 1MPH going back up. Learn to ride with toe clips boys... and Alpine gearing.
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

Robin2

You put a motor that turns a freewheeling roller so the roller is on the bicycle rear tire and lets it roll forward, pushes it forward when the motor runs. No chains or gears required.
My Dad had a bike with an engine that operated like that on the front wheel. I think it was called an NSU Quickly. By the time I was old enough to be conscious of it he had stopped using the engine and I know he eventually removed it and just used it as a pedal-bike. I suspect he had bought it when we were living further out of town and he used it to get to work - long before we had a car. At the time I remember the bike we were living within walking distance of his work.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

NSU now there is a blast from the past !

My old man got hold of an NSU car when we were kids.
And got rid of it almost as quickly f****** death traps !

It was the one almost like a Hillman imp.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

My Dad had a bike with an engine that operated like that on the front wheel
.A Solex?
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

Robin2

.A Solex?
May have been - actually probably more likely. I had forgotten that name.

...R

Whandall

Jun 04, 2020, 07:01 pm Last Edit: Jun 04, 2020, 07:26 pm by Whandall
I had a 50cc Z√ľndap KS50 in 1972, which was (styled like) a real motor bike. 90 km/h max.

Like this, but in black with a red seat.

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

runaway_pancake

PUCH had some nice models, built well I thought. I had a "Maxi". Pedaling was a joke, of course, but that was needed for getting the motor started. 
Topped out at 30 mph. 
I had to buy a license plate for it every year. At some point they discontinued that.
Fueling was a hassle because two-stroke oil had to be put in the tank. I'd bring the right amount in a coke bottle, hardly convenient. And no fuel gauge, had to keep a close eye on the odometer for that.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
When all else fails, check your wiring!

ballscrewbob

My bro had a PUKE at one point.  :smiley-grin:
Didn't keep that too long before he upgraded to something else.

My path was C50...SS50,,,SS90.
The SS90 was a limited model but was great when you stuck SS50 badges on it and blew by the SS50's
But I also did that to a PORCH with an Iveco 480 without a trailer hooked LOL

Go Up