Go Down

Topic: What do you do for a living? Do you enjoy it? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

I spent my career writing software for Internet Stuff (starting in about 1980.  I helped create the internet we know and love today.)
I retired a few years ago, and for some reason I've have had very little interest in doing internet or IOT stuff for arduino/etc...

There is a tendency for that to happen with higher skills and trades I know a few people who wont do after work anything related to the job at home.

Millwright by trade but wont change the engine oil on the truck or car or bother with too many other mechanical things.

Tinker around though and re-purpose objects and I am all over that and apply my trade skills there.

Same with my computer tickets...Stopped using them skills as a job but still dabble around the edges (mainly in here)

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

TomGeorge

Hi,
Spent the first 20 or so working years  my life touring around Victoria, Australia, averaging 50,000kms a year, servicing and repairing automotive electronic service equipment.
Electronic Wheel Balancers, Wheel Aligners, Engine Analysers etc.
Then moved into Industrial Electronics 20 years ago, currently 63yo and working 3 days a week, casual and loving it.
I do PLC and controller programming as well as repair of industrial electronic equipment.

Spend my Covid-19 time here on forum, facebook and making cardboard models, model railway themed plus dinosaurs cars, space craft and anything my nearly 4yo grandson likes :) :).

Tom..... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Robin2

Jul 12, 2020, 02:26 pm Last Edit: Jul 12, 2020, 02:28 pm by Robin2
Spent all my working life in the Civil Service - probably a poor choice, but it provided a comfortable enough living so I never managed to escape. Like everything else there were interesting times and boring times.

I'm not averse to occasionally helping a friend write an official letter but I have no intention of participating in committee meetings or anything vaguely like that.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up