Go Down

Topic: New search available (Read 2108 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

@i-freire

Thanks for introducing yourself and the follow ups.

So nice to see an Arduino presence and hope it will be a long and fruitful one.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

UKHeliBob

Hello Isabela, welcome aboard

I think that it would be helpful if the search was opened in a new tab in the browser rather than leaving the current page, or maybe offer the option by right clicking on the search icon.  As it stands, if you want to do a search whilst reading a thread then in order to leave the thread open you need to duplicate the page before doing the search.

On a different subject, I see that you are
working daily with the Dev Team to deliver a better experience
One thing that would provide me with a better experience would be for the long standing problem with Alerts being fixed being fixed
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Robin2

Jun 30, 2020, 06:20 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 06:25 pm by Robin2
I did not want to undermine my "welcome" with a complaint so I have separated them.

Just now I entered several things into the search box at the top of the page and it gave me a page titled Arduino search with just a blank white area in the middle.

That does not inspire confidence. The development and testing should not happen on the live system.

Also, I just typed several things site:arduino.cc into DuckDuckGo and the Thread Several Things at a Time was top of the list as befits the fact that it has been  (Read 547320 times)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Check again Robin as it just worked great here.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Yes it worked this time.

However it says it sorts by relevance. What constitutes relevance?

Searching for several things the #1 item has had 96 views and appears twice. The #2 item has 991 views and appears 16 times on the first page. It is something I abandoned.

The item with  547320 views does not appear at all even though it comes out #1 with DDG.

To my mind this Arduino search is currently not fit for purpose and should not have been rolled out.

As I said earlier, if it can't do better than Google (or DDG) it is a waste of time since there was already a Google search in use on the Forum.

...R

ballscrewbob

IMHO google just spit out a load of mish mash for Arduino certainly not in any sort of decent order most of the time nor as relevant on other occasions.

Cannot speak to DDG as its been a while.

Robin2

IMHO google just spit out a load of mish mash for Arduino certainly not in any sort of decent order most of the time nor as relevant on other occasions.
With several things site:arduino.cc Google also put the Thread several things at a time as #1

The Forum search did not even have it on the first page.

...R

i-freire

Thanks everyone for the warm welcoming! :) some quick replies:

I think that it would be helpful if the search was opened in a new tab in the browser rather than leaving the current page, or maybe offer the option by right clicking on the search icon.  As it stands, if you want to do a search whilst reading a thread then in order to leave the thread open you need to duplicate the page before doing the search.
>> Good shout @UKHeliBob. I am referring this to the team. I am also referring the alerts issue too. We work mainly with the search but I am sure there's something we can do

The item with  547320 views does not appear at all even though it comes out #1 with DDG.
>> @Robin2 you are right as this behaviour is very odd. It should definitely be within the first results. We'll have a look at it to see what's going on. I'll let you know as soon as we figure it out

Robin2

>> @Robin2 you are right as this behaviour is very odd. It should definitely be within the first results. We'll have a look at it to see what's going on. I'll let you know as soon as we figure it out
Perhaps it would be a good idea to restore the earlier search system that used Google while the bugs are being removed from the new system?

...R

ballscrewbob

Perhaps it would be a good idea to restore the earlier search system that used Google while the bugs are being removed from the new system?

...R
The option to jump to google is still there Robin.
God forbid I would need to use it.  :smiley-eek:

Robin2

The option to jump to google is still there Robin.
God forbid I would need to use it.  :smiley-eek:
I confess I don't often need to search for stuff on the Forum by any means but from what I can see the existing Forum Search is completely useless and would be best decommissioned until it is fixed.

I don't share your view that Google is incompetent. I normally use Duck Duck Go to stay out of Google's clutches but Google's search capability is very good IMHO.

If you have some examples where the Arduino Search is better than Google or DDG I would be interested to hear about them. As I said earlier, if the Arduino Search is not better then the whole thing is a waste of time.

...R

ballscrewbob

Jul 01, 2020, 02:33 pm Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 02:34 pm by ballscrewbob
The side tags are exceptionally useful.

ballscrewbob

Jul 01, 2020, 02:37 pm Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 02:42 pm by ballscrewbob
Unfortunately not available in all sections of search.

neither is the drop to google option unfortunately.

But just using "testing site:www.arduino.cc" on google brings up the following which clearly indicates awkward date structures and a randomness of selected items.

At least with the Arduino search you can quickly home in without too many extra qualifiers.

ballscrewbob

Jul 01, 2020, 03:36 pm Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 03:37 pm by ballscrewbob
Also noticed the noo serch his a likkle mooe furgivin on bad spellungh hand sush  :D
Still pulling relevant results.

Try "latkshing" no quotes.

(deliberate testing of the search found that)

Go Up