Go Down

Topic: MKR GSM 1400 ? Keep the box !! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

johno291

After working with this board since February 2020 we cannot get it to perform reliably over time and as yet have no confidence to use it in the future.
We used the original GSM Shield with its Quectel modem on numerous projects and found it to be rock solid in use, so were looking forward to its replacement being as good if not better.
There was a power supply issue that has been acknowledged by Arduino and supposedly corrected in later manufacture. We have found that this problem is made worse when using I2C.
Arduino support have sent us through details of how to make a board level modification by shorting a fuse and replacing a resistor!
Furthermore the permanent use of a LiPo battery is recommended.
After 30 years of working in automation we have never been asked to get the soldering iron out to correct a design mistake, and then to be asked to send a picture of the box so that a batch number can be found is just exasperating.
I've seen elsewhere on this forum that others have encountered this issue, so has anyone who has encountered this problem found that the problem has been solved in recent manufacture?
Arduino support just tell us to ask for a replacement from our supplier here in the UK or buy another board from them direct which will have been modified.
We want to use Arduino but we can't waste any more time if there is still an issue.

nachoherrera

Hello Johno291,

Thank you for sharing your issue with the Arduino community.

We are very sorry to hear you are not fully satisfied with the MKR GSM 1400.

Please find below clarification about the issue as the Technical Support team is surprised of your disappointment:

First of all, Arduino is offering FREE replacement providing the new upgrade of the board completely free of charge. This new version of the board solves all the issues mentioned and it functions properly without LiPo battery as well.

Authorized suppliers are managing the replacements on behalf of Arduino when the user purchased the board through a supplier. If the user bought the board directly from Arduino store, then Arduino manages the replacement. In all cases the boards will be replaced FREE OF CHARGE.

We understand that some advanced users have the tools and the ability to fix the issue themselves without wasting time. This is why we provide a quick guide on how to fix the problem using soldering iron. Please note that this is totally OPTIONAL.

The purpose of asking for the batch number which is found only in the box, is no other than tracking all faulty boards circulating among the users in order to be identified and replaced as soon as possible. Of course, this is not a requirement to obtain the replacement and if the box was disposed it is not a problem.

We are sorry if this solution was not suitable for you and we hope you find this answer clarifying. Please let us know if you encountered any issues obtaining the replacement through your supplier.

Kind Regards,
┗(•ˇ_ˇ•)―→ Member of the Ardunio customer service team
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━☞ Contact us through https://bit.ly/2xxu1le

intstarep

Hello nachoherrera

In Johno29 Pic Arduino is writing to replace R28. I can't find any R28 in the Schema. Replace with what R?

Is there a way to find out which Boards are fixed? Serial Nr?

Cheers

ellokah

First of all, Arduino is offering FREE replacement providing the new upgrade of the board completely free of charge. This new version of the board solves all the issues mentioned and it functions properly without LiPo battery as well.

Authorized suppliers are managing the replacements on behalf of Arduino when the user purchased the board through a supplier. If the user bought the board directly from Arduino store, then Arduino manages the replacement. In all cases the boards will be replaced FREE OF CHARGE.

I'm really sad to say that, but I am so very disappointed by the Arduino support. I read this thread here because I encountered the same issues already reported 2018 in this thread (https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=566676.0). I wrote two emails to the support, asking what I need to do to replace my failure MKR1400 according to this thread here, but I NEVER got an answer by them. What is wrong Arduino? Why you dont even response?

I always bought my arduinos in the official shop because I was convinced by Arduino and I really like the idea to support the manufacturer this way. But this is just disappointing now.

So please, Arduino team, tell us MKR1400 users how to get in contact with you to make this full-throatedly announced replacement!

ellokah

Hello nachoherrera

In Johno29 Pic Arduino is writing to replace R28. I can't find any R28 in the Schema. Replace with what R?

Is there a way to find out which Boards are fixed? Serial Nr?

Cheers

I can found it there. Have a look on ILIM of U5 (sheet 2 of the PDF). With a little googling you can also find the information, that the formular for the limiting current is

I_lim = 530 / R28.

So, you may want to replace it by 180 or maybe 150 Ohm

pert

Hi @ellokah. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your MKR GSM 1400. Did you contact support via this form?:
https://store.arduino.cc/store-support

intstarep

I can found it there. Have a look on ILIM of U5 (sheet 2 of the PDF). With a little googling you can also find the information, that the formular for the limiting current is

I_lim = 530 / R28.

So, you may want to replace it by 180 or maybe 150 Ohm
In the moment i saw there is a second page everything was bright and clear to me....Thx 4 telling me!

Go Up