Go Down

Topic: Arduino as a GPIB controller (Read 98 times) previous topic - next topic

skillfulsquash

Hello I have scoured the web in search of the answer to my question and what a rabbit hole it was.  I am seeking some guidance on whether or not it is feasible to use an Arduino to control an instrument via GPIB.  This would be with a adapter so I would not need to build my own.  I am just wondering what is needed or can be done to do this.  Please feel free to ask any questions if I have not done a good enough job explaining myself.  Also I am fairly new to this and am asking for simple answers at first so that I can gradually learn more.

DVDdoug

I've never built anything GPIB related but I've worked-on and worked-with some GBIB boards...

I am seeking some guidance on whether or not it is feasible to use an Arduino to control an instrument via GPIB.  This would be with a adapter so I would not need to build my own.
Probably not...  What kind of "adapter"?   A GBIB controller?  That usually requires a driver (running on a computer).   And, any software development kit (that works with the driver & controller) will probably also be designed for a computer.

It would probably be easier to build your own GPIB controller...   Not easy, but easier...   There are GPIB driver chips (75160 & 75161) and GPIB interface/controller chips (7210), and probably others, but you still need a microcontroller.

The tricky thing with a project like this is testing & debugging.   If the instrument doesn't respond as expected it's almost impossible to track-down or narrow-down the problem.  

skillfulsquash

It would be a 82357B USB/GPIB Interface High-Speed USB 2.0.  I don't know if having this is enough or if Arduino just can not be used with out hooking up all the pins?

aarg

The USB port on the Arduino can not function as a host device, so it can't run that adapter.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

DrDiettrich

It would be a 82357B USB/GPIB Interface High-Speed USB 2.0.
If you read the docs carefully you'll find support for a PC but nothing for an Arduino. With an Arduino you'll have to pay an highly qualified expert for making work what you cannot do yourself.

Go Up