Go Down

Topic: IoT Solution for a farm (Read 247 times) previous topic - next topic

KareemWaheed

Hi,
Someone assigned me to do some research about the best method to do a network between sensors and devices to monitor and control a big farm (moisture, ec, etc..) so i found some protocols are alike (RS485-SDI-12) but what i read, that it is better not to use serial communication as it is old, but it is an option
also i found some radio,wireless solutions to achieve this

so in your opinion what is the best network-wiring-communication methods to connect more than 10 sensors in a 3 or 4 hectares farm from sensors to (Arduino or a gateway)

Thanks and sorry if my question have some flows

dave-in-nj

srnet

Jul 13, 2020, 11:57 am Last Edit: Jul 13, 2020, 11:57 am by srnet
For such a small area, I would be amazed if point to point lora would not work and would probably be a lot easier to setup and keep within legal duty cycle requirements.

dave-in-nj

For such a small area, I would be amazed if point to point lora would not work and would probably be a lot easier to setup and keep within legal duty cycle requirements.
At what point of number of sensors would you want to move to a mesh vs. point to point ?
for a 10 Acre/4 hectare farm the area is not that large and some of the answer lies in how it is laid out.
But you are correct that starting point to point would be the easy way.   If there were problems, the mesh would available.

srnet

Well for a TTN style setup, needing a single 8 channel gateway, hundreads of sensors a km or more from the gateway  are not unusual, however air time is often kept low, so collisions are low.

With a mesh setup in such a very small area (for LoRa) you would likely have a situation where every sensor is seeing every other sensor. 

Idahowalker

Another suggestion.

Setup a RPi4 as an MQTT Broker. Use Python or Node-Red or your choice on the RPi to serve as central control. Use a micro controller with built in WiFi, ESP32, to connect to the RPi, MQTT Broker to publish individual site data units.

KareemWaheed

At what point of number of sensors would you want to move to a mesh vs. point to point ?
for a 10 Acre/4 hectare farm the area is not that large and some of the answer lies in how it is laid out.
But you are correct that starting point to point would be the easy way.   If there were problems, the mesh would available.
Well for a TTN style setup, needing a single 8 channel gateway, hundreads of sensors a km or more from the gateway  are not unusual, however air time is often kept low, so collisions are low.

With a mesh setup in such a very small area (for LoRa) you would likely have a situation where every sensor is seeing every other sensor. 
Well sorry for my newbieness :D

i'm not familiar with Lora or mesh network or point to point i'm searching for them now, but i want to add, what sensors should i search for , what i found are (SDI-12, RS485, LoraWan, Differential analog) -LoraWan isn't legal in my area as i know- also what is the wiring or networking should i do "i'm not a network expert please go easy" :D

also what gateway should i  look into to be able to achieve this

Thank you all

KareemWaheed

Another suggestion.

Setup a RPi4 as an MQTT Broker. Use Python or Node-Red or your choice on the RPi to serve as central control. Use a micro controller with built in WiFi, ESP32, to connect to the RPi, MQTT Broker to publish individual site data units.
that i could do for the transmission but how to connect all the sensors together on a large area, or you suppose it is wireless ?

wildbill

Is point to point LoRa usable where you are? XBee mesh is another possibility. How far do the sensors need to communicate? Depending on your topology, you might even get wifi to work. How will you power each node?

Idahowalker

that i could do for the transmission but how to connect all the sensors together on a large area, or you suppose it is wireless ?
Sensors connected to a micro controller with wireless (ESP32).

srnet

Is point to point LoRa usable where you are?
Indeed and a good question since plain LoRa and LoRaWAN are different.

Not aware of any locations where LoRa or LoRaWAN is not legal, perhaps the OP can say where they are.

dave-in-nj

LoRa is a low power Radio frequency in the common frequency used for many RF projects.
It is both low power and long distance.  Yor 4 hectare farm should allow one arduino with a LoRa transmitter to send back to a main unit.
And multiple units can ssend back to that one main unit.

The ESPESP32 has WFi but distance is not great.

Mesh is if you have many EZP32 and the farthezt iz too far. It zends to the one close to it.
That one dends all the data to another one closer.
Ultimately the one closest sends all the information to the main.
Like a bucket brigade

KareemWaheed

Is point to point LoRa usable where you are? XBee mesh is another possibility. How far do the sensors need to communicate? Depending on your topology, you might even get wifi to work. How will you power each node?
i guess i could use point to point i'll look much further into it.

the power: there is multiple 12vdc outlet in the farm i could deal with it.
the distance : from the base (gateway) to the end of the farm is about 500m to 1km i think but i should look into a solution that could work larger distance

on another hand: wired solutions are bad?? SDI-12 RS485 and analog signals ... ?  as i see so much sensors specially in agriculture field works with these protocols, so i was wondering about them beside looking into lora

hzrnbgy

Depending on the shape of the farm, you might be able to get away with 4 high powered WiFi access points, and use ESP8266/ESP32/ATWINC500/W600 modules.

Sample drawing for a square 4 hectare.

The added benefit is you get to provide Internet access to users in the field and it's probably also cheaper to implement that commercial LoRa solutions

KareemWaheed

Depending on the shape of the farm, you might be able to get away with 4 high powered WiFi access points, and use ESP8266/ESP32/ATWINC500/W600 modules.

Sample drawing for a square 4 hectare.

The added benefit is you get to provide Internet access to users in the field and it's probably also cheaper to implement that commercial LoRa solutions
do you mean that i get analog sensors and connect them to esp8266?

Go Up