Go Down

Topic: What's with the Portenta H7 specific examples? (Read 702 times) previous topic - next topic

jerteach

What's with the Portenta H7 specific examples? 

There is no little blurb inside each example telling you what it does, why it is useful, why anyone should care about it, what extra hardware is needed. I actually know what I am doing with micro-controllers and I am totally confused with almost every example, I really feel for anyone knew to Arduino with a brand new Portenta trying to figure out how to use it.

Can someone post, which examples a beginner should try and why.

The examples so far are:

Doom
KernelDebug
LittleVGL
PDM
Portenta_Audio
Portenta_Camera
Portenta_SDCARD
Portenta_System
Portenta_Video
RPC
Scheduler
ThreadDebug
USBHost--keyboard controller, shell

A bit of a hint about which ones to try first and which ones are advanced or need extra hardware.  Any suggestions about BLE examples to run or best WIFI examples would be appreciated.

jerteach

Jul 25, 2020, 02:49 am Last Edit: Jul 25, 2020, 02:52 am by jerteach
Seeing as no one wants to give any example suggestions here. I have made a github with my examples. Presently working on webservers but that is not yet ready.

What I do have ready are:

https://github.com/hpssjellis/my-examples-for-the-arduino-portentaH7

my01-BlinkM7.ino: Yes blinking the Portenta is a bit different

my02-dual-core.ino: I like this dual core code. It is one file that you can load to either core

my03-BLE-LED-control.ino: Control the Portenta with bluetooth. Use nrfconnect or some other mobile app

my04-BLE-LED-multi-control.ino: Control other Portenta's that have the above BLE. Cycles through all of them and flashes their LED's

webserver.... not yet working

johngalt

Thank you for your examples. If not for the dual clean I would have let the magic smoke out of my Portenta's with a hammer!

Doug
Doug

jerteach

Oct 17, 2020, 05:47 am Last Edit: Oct 20, 2020, 05:16 am by jerteach
Thank you for your examples. If not for the dual clean I would have let the magic smoke out of my Portenta's with a hammer!

Doug
LOL. I spent a few hours wondering why my blink program was not running on the M7 core when the problem was a bug I had on the M4 core, even though the M7 core program was not even activating the M4 core program.
Glad you liked it. I have a few videos coming out at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57Dnr1H_egtm0pi-okmG0iE_X5dROaLw that you might like. Not really official until I figure out how to make a good video about installing the new Portenta Core 1.3.0

jscladon

Thanks a lot for your examples! Made my life really easier!
But what I am really wondering about is my earlier post, which has got 48 reads, but 0 replies.

I am trying to generate a 20MHz clock signal for a external ADC (MCP3911). Since you are my hero now, do you have an idea for that one as well? 

Thanks a lot and greatings from Hannover, Germany!

Johannes

jerteach

Thanks a lot for your examples! Made my life really easier!
But what I am really wondering about is my earlier post, which has got 48 reads, but 0 replies.

I am trying to generate a 20MHz clock signal for a external ADC (MCP3911). Since you are my hero now, do you have an idea for that one as well?

Thanks a lot and greatings from Hannover, Germany!

Johannes
Thank you very much. Do you have a link to the original post? I know almost nothing about clock speeds, but really like using delayMicroseconds() which has to be connected to controlling a clock. If the other post doesn't mention it, what does the ADC (MCP3911) do and what are you trying to do?

Go Up