Go Down

Topic: Dial up weather station. (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

Mack1

Any ideas on how to make a weather station that can be accessed by phone.

Problems
No access to the internet.
Cost is prohibitive using phone internet.

Imagined
An old cell phone or connection that is only used for receiving calls. ($20 a year to keep the number current.) Lets call this "Cell Phone A."
Users dial the number and get weather information from the "Cell Phone A." Could be done as a photo?
"Cell Phone A." disconnects after a short while.
Costs incurred would only be the users call time.
Would be nice to also show a photo of the sight.

jremington

Sep 27, 2020, 12:43 am Last Edit: Sep 27, 2020, 12:43 am by jremington
Interesting idea. Is the below even possible? If so, which vendors, in which countries, offer such a service at that price?
An old cell phone or connection that is only used for receiving calls. ($20 a year to keep the number current.)

uxomm

Interesting idea. Is the below even possible? If so, which vendors, in which countries, offer such a service at that price?
I use setups like this with several projects (barrier opener, door opener, garage and more): old cellphone or GSM module like Siemens TC35. No active calls only receiving calls / SMS.
I live in Austria. Here you you can get prepaied SIM cards (must be registered to you name) and keep the number current for a year for € 10 or € 20.

@Mack1:
Without internet connection, it could be a challenge to transmit photos (not impossible tough: my first internet connections were done by acoustic coupler...).
As telephony is transmitting sound, you may consider a method that transmits data via speech.
There is an interesting speech library for Arduino: Talkie
It has limited vocabulary, but should work with a weather station.

Always decouple electronic circuitry.

jremington

Mack1

"Interesting idea. Is the below even possible? If so, which vendors, in which countries, offer such a service at that price?"

2 degrees in New Zealand offer a Pay as you go service. You only pay for outgoing calls. My wife uses it so that I can contact her. If she doesn't call out it seems to last for a year or so before she needs to top it up again. She usually puts $20 on the phone.

jremington

I haven't been able to find such a "receive only" plan in the U.S.  AT&T, one of the big providers, does not offer one.

srnet

3 in the UK do such a service.

Its a Pay as you Go, with no expiry on the credit.

I put £10 credit on when I bought the service 3 years ago.

Current credit is £6.61, so the service has so far cost me £1.13 a year. Outgoing calls are 3p a minute.

Its a bargain.
No PMs please, they dont get answered.

Go Up