Go Down

Topic: Mosquito control, an simple optical method (Read 5284 times) previous topic - next topic

ephitran

Aug 01, 2020, 09:51 pm Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 10:08 pm by ephitran
For immediate needs.

Or

if you want a quick experience with the technology.

In the above post we discus the dual purpose devices, the light bulbs that repel mosquitoes. Actually in early days we had 1 cool white light bulb and 1 warm white light bulb put next to each other as a set.

I am not going into details how to do but in general for only 'engineers' who know what they are doing and keep me out of any liability if accidents happened. We are dealing with live AC that can kill.

In general you can modify 2 light bulbs, 1 cool white and 1 warm white. They alternately response to the directions of the AC.

-- Normally there are 2 schemes to reduce the voltage for its power supply. The brand names are normal use transformer and the cheap one use capacitors.

-- In either case it has a diode bridge rectifier.

-- It is obligatory that the light bulbs can be open to be modified:

------For transformer style power supply all you need to do is to modify the full wave rectifier to have it becomes haft wave rectifier, one for forward current and the other for the reverse. It i important that all the capacitors removed. Although it has the protective resistor it does not hurt if you add some more 1/2 W 500 ohm???

----- For the capacitors scheme power supply. This is a little tricky. You do the same as the above. Plus you need to add a high power rated high value resistor. (1/2 W 2K ohm ?-- its hot---) You need some way to dissipate the heat too.

Usage:

Put it up very high, up high or at least 2  in the backyard.

You will know where it works where it doesn't to aim the devices accordingly.

So you and your friends can enjoy cool beers in the afternoon or for the ladies to enjoy sunbath.

Good luck!
and
happy mosquitoes free!

ballscrewbob

I love this topic !

I dont want the TRAP though...

But in all honesty could I use a strip of programmable led's and select a specific colour bandwidth from that ?
Oh and do you have anything for blackflies (Nothern Canada) which are evil little baskets of fun.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ephitran

Aug 02, 2020, 05:58 am Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 06:22 am by ephitran
But in all honesty could I use a strip of programmable led's and select a specific colour bandwidth from that ?

With your question i assume that you are one of the techies classes.
Yes.

We have done that a while back.

For frequency you can choose anywhere form 60 HZ to 500 HZ - in the lab 500 is the best however we have noway to tell the difference in life tests. We are very confident that the frequency range can be lower to 50 HZ but the people who promised me feedback (from other country just) just . . . forgot. One think we know for sure that if the any 'quadrant' longer than 11 milliseconds the devices become ineffective.

For color: You should use Red and Blue, they are at the 2 ends of the visible spectrum, to stand out from the background. Personally we think the random color schemes of R,G,B are better. However as human we see them as blinking devices, some users expressed their concern if devices have any affect on those with seizure. It was not our position to argue of the blinking of Christmas lights but go ahead to use red & blue instead.

Again. in the lab we can tell if one is better than the other, but in live test we just don't see those annoying mosquitoes around. Are they the same?

In our limit observations, some predatory insects show more attracting to certain color. It will be the job of the generations to come. We are too 'old' and too limited to explore.

BLACKFLIES:

I have to google to know what they are. I have no idea if i works. For sure the schemes are not effective on  daylight insects: butterflies, bees, dragonflies, wasp, food flies, houseflies.....

ballscrewbob

Aug 02, 2020, 06:05 am Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 06:06 am by ballscrewbob
Yes I need to take into account both mozzies AND blackflies.
Blackflies are not household flies btw.

They have overlapping times but the blackflies have a shorter time duration's (thankfully) and we have seen them force Moose out from thier normal habitat due to the bites as they seem to swarm (they dont but can often be seen in larger quantities than mozzies.

Maybe an alternating pattern could be used to repel both species ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ephitran

Aug 02, 2020, 06:52 am Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 06:54 am by ephitran
Yes I need to take into account both mozzies AND blackflies.

The devices repel most nocturnal insects, fruit vegetables in my backyard reduce their yield to almost zero. Only with the one that have their bright white and afternoon blossoming flowers; they depend on nocturnal for pollination?

We have some limited success on houseflies it may need more twisting please give me some time. I have some physical and linguistic limitations to post. Then you can try both and work from there.

The common wisdom thought all insects are the same. Our observations do not support the notion. We can not tell until and after we try.

ephitran

BLACK FLIES.

FYI: The more nocturnal the insects are the blacker their eyes color (to absorb more photons). and daylight insect normally have brown or brighter color. They use them as color filters.

This is my initial assessment.

In Google images of the black flies, there are at least two different species.

One with black eyes. I assume that they are nocturnal insects and the device should work.

The other with brown eyes the same color of the houseflies they use the bright light of the day to navigate. I don't think the device work.

Just some experiences and observations.

ephitran

Aug 02, 2020, 08:40 pm Last Edit: Aug 03, 2020, 08:04 pm by ephitran
Implementation on LED strip.

Actually you can drive 2 led strips using handful of diodes to control the timing of an AC. 1 blue strip and 1 red strip.

For each back to back pair of diodes the voltage drop 0.7 V at the same time it  opens the resting  gap wider.

In the case of 12 V input LED strip You may use 24 VAC with (24-12)/0.7 = 17 pairs to drive BLUE and RED as above. (The AC drive red with forward current and blue with the reversed)
The red and blue LED(s) should be place next to each other.

ephitran

Aug 04, 2020, 12:52 am Last Edit: Aug 04, 2020, 02:10 am by ephitran
If for any reasons you are anxious to go into production phase.

Then

Attached is schematic file.

And:

H&48R002 optical file

What it does?:
    Red 2 seconds
    Green 2 seconds
    Blue 2 seconds
    Loop:
        Red on; delay 500 microseconds
        Red off; delay 500 microseconds
        Blue on; delay 500 microseconds
        Blue off; delay 500 microseconds
    Goto loop:

Now a days PCB/PCBA vendors (ebay?) will do all of that for you with the 2 files. (assuming that you give them the picture of the USB stick on first picture of the topic) at minimum setup cost and of course some mark ups.

Or:

You supply the OPT file to MCU vendors (in China - At Alibaba)- They will burn the MCU you at no cost. (total at $0.08 ->$0.12. each).

Then:

Either you can supply other components (LED + Resistors + Capacitor) or the PCB/PCBA vendor will take up to give you turnkey product.

-You can draw PCB yourselves or they can do it for you.

The final products are just the 2mm thick PCB.  (Depend on your shopping skill and quantity you may have them in less than a quarter a piece).  They will be ready in a week + shipping even in hundred thousands.

The picture shows just PCB with standard options: 2 mm thick, white solder mask and gold plated.

Good luck.

ephitran

Aug 11, 2020, 03:22 pm Last Edit: Aug 14, 2020, 08:31 am by ephitran
Housefly Control

.Video

Perhaps the most requested from users is a houseflies control device.

This post is for  educational purpose. the information are for the community to be able to take off even further and further.[/i]

Things to be considered:

- Compare to mosquitoes, houseflies are mush faster -- we need to increase speed.

- It obvious that houseflies are very sensitive to react to moving objects, the device need to portrait such illusions.

Observations and feedback:

- Under a mosquito repelling light strip there are some activities that the flies indeed fly far far away however the results were not consistent.

- Feedback from fishing community show some density reductions under dual purposed light bulbs.

Putting all together we have some experiment on the device below:

sketch:
Code: [Select]

int blue[]={A0,A2,A4,3,5,7,9,11};
int yellow[]={A1,A3,A5,2,4,6,8,10};
#define BLUE_ON(x) digitalWrite(blue[x],false)
#define BLUE_OFF(x) digitalWrite(blue[x],true)
#define YELLOW_ON(x) digitalWrite(yellow[x],false)
#define YELLOW_OFF(x) digitalWrite(yellow[x],true)

void setup() {

int x;
  for(x=0;x<8;x++)
    {
      pinMode(blue[x],OUTPUT);
      BLUE_ON(x); delay (1000);BLUE_OFF(x);
      pinMode(yellow[x],OUTPUT);
      YELLOW_ON(x); delay (1000);YELLOW_OFF(x);
    }

}
void my_delay()
{
  delayMicroseconds(250);
}
void loop() {

int b;
  b=1;
  while(1)
    {

b=(b+random(1,7)) & 7;

BLUE_ON(b);  my_delay();BLUE_OFF(b);my_delay();
      YELLOW_ON(b);  my_delay();YELLOW_OFF(b);my_delay();

b=(b+random(1,7)) & 7;
      YELLOW_ON(b);  my_delay();YELLOW_OFF(b);my_delay();
      BLUE_ON(b);  my_delay();BLUE_OFF(b); my_delay();
    }
}
// Although the previous are from my Sketch, I think this way is better, It have the yellow and the blue acting independently.

The device showed good results, It have been shelved for about 5 years while we pursued the testing protocol.

I post this as an unfinished project it may need more works other variables such the distances, the placement forma of the LED, the  effective areas . . . . or perhaps to reprogram to have the strip presenting itself as directional moving illusions . . . .

Good luck.

ephitran

Aug 13, 2020, 03:02 pm Last Edit: Aug 13, 2020, 03:23 pm by ephitran
Other of interesting.

Yellow areas are not mosquito repelling, rather they are attractive

The experiments that showed yellow is mosquito favor color missed a clue. They put individual color traps for a long period then counted the catch. Under daylight yellow is nullified.

This experiment.

More than 50% of the sample will be in the yellow area, then white . . . 
Red is the least.

ephitran

Housefly control continue. . . . .

Personally I think the following code is much better. It has yellow & blue run crisscrossed because the targeted are notably sensitive to motion.

int blue[]={A0,A2,A4,3,5,7,9,11};
int yellow[]={A1,A3,A5,2,4,6,8,10};
#define BLUE_ON(x) digitalWrite(blue[x],false)
#define BLUE_OFF(x) digitalWrite(blue[x],true)
#define YELLOW_ON(x) digitalWrite(yellow[x],false)
#define YELLOW_OFF(x) digitalWrite(yellow[x],true)

void setup() {

int x;
  for(x=0;x<8;x++)
    {
      pinMode(blue[x],OUTPUT);
      BLUE_ON(x); delay (1000);BLUE_OFF(x);
      pinMode(yellow[x],OUTPUT);
      YELLOW_ON(x); delay (1000);YELLOW_OFF(x);
    }

}
void my_delay()
{
  delayMicroseconds(100);
}
void loop() {

int a,b;

while(1)
    {

/* Blue runs forward  Yellow backward  */

for(a=0,b=7;a<8;a++,b--)
        {
         BLUE_ON(a);  my_delay();BLUE_OFF(a);my_delay();
         YELLOW_ON(b);  my_delay();YELLOW_OFF(b);my_delay();
        }

/* REVERSE  */  

for(a=0,b=7;a<8;a++,b--)
        {
         BLUE_ON(b);  my_delay();BLUE_OFF(b);my_delay();
         YELLOW_ON(a);  my_delay();YELLOW_OFF(a);my_delay();
        }  

}

}

Side effects:

At night, the settings turned into  magnet to predatory insects . . . As the consequence there were spider nets appear in the back of the light. I am not sure that they come b/c of the repelled insects or the predatory or both.

Again:

Happy mosquito free !!!

ephitran

Aug 17, 2020, 01:21 pm Last Edit: Aug 18, 2020, 03:01 am by ephitran
Larva control. Some simple and environmental methods.

Before we were able to locate mosquito or larva vendors.

For  more than 4 years we reared of wild mosquito in the backyard we think we opt to share some experiences, please take them as starting points, We trust that the ingenuity of the community can take the ideas to go further and further.

During plagues countries used task force to come to neighborhoods to kill mosquitoes and larvae.  They mainly concentrated to work on around the house water bodies. They either drained or using chemicals.
The methods are kind of simple, very simple alternatives.

For small water bodies such as a lily flower vases; all they need are some ice. making it chill, very chill. Simple huh? It may not work with some up north species.

For larger body such as 55 gallon drum. - In rural area people use to cook and drink. There are not one, depend on the availability at the locals.

The purpose is to build a thin CO2 layer over the water surface. It kills the larvae.

- The most simple method is to drop in a finger size dry ice, then loosely close the lid.

- Beside dry ice user can use a hanging jar that contains baking soda and vinegar to generate CO2. or. Baking soda & citric acid. If you introduce CO2 from a compressed tank, you need to do it slowly, it needs about 4 gallon of CO2 for haft full 55 gallon tank.  - They need lids too.

The above methods take about 10 minutes to have them all killed by suffocation.

- If there are air guns and if the containers tolerate a shot such as pellet gun - We don't need ammunition just the air, give them a shot at about 30 cm below the surface. They got killed by pressure shock such as those (bad) people fish by introduce explosion.

In the case that all the above tool are not available. There is other method that prevent them to come to the surface to breath by gradually sinking a piece of clean cloth or mesh with a small weight in the middle. You need some kind of a ring to keep the mesh form sinking all the way and to prevent them form escaping upward. we set them dry then sank them by adding water to the tank. Try you best but don't worry, with the weight you can catch them by quickly lifting the mesh. 10 minutes.?

Happy mosquito free.

ephitran

Aug 21, 2020, 03:01 pm Last Edit: Aug 24, 2020, 03:30 pm by ephitran
Cockroach control . . . . Yes !!!!  COCKROACH CONTROL.

It's not a new technology but its usage. Please look at the post only as a part of knowledge transferring attempt.

Years back, feedback from users brought the feature to our attention. At the time we were too occupied with the pursuing with a protocol to prove the effectiveness of the device in repelling mosquitoes, the endeavor itself have taken us more than 5 years to develop, we simply are not equipped to such  multitasks, one per branch of the insects: houseflies, roaches. . . .

It'e undeniable the effectiveness of the ultrasonic devices on the little roaches, but  cockroach, they are immune.

IT NOT FOR US THO THINK FOR THE INSECTS RATHER FOR US TO LEARN HOW TO THINK THE WAY THEY DO . . . . .IN ORDER TO WORK FROM THERE

The cardinal rule: It not if the ares are lit. They look at the light source as a 'coming' predator.
It only occupies as very small portion of the viewpoint The partitions of the lenses of their eye give them the instance indication where it comes from, the res; 99% are safe for them to go to. One interest observation: Some mosquitoes hid behind their own shadow.

Going back to cockroach controlling topic.

• Please leave it ON 24/7
  • They just don't come out . . . . on the floor, to eat or to look for food
  • It's an overnight story if you check at night, however you should expect seeing some belly up in the morning
  • It take some days for them to eventually clear out.
  • Again:. Though we are obligatory to have instruction to the use of single unit, it not ever intentional for normal users to do that way

Happy Mosquito Free !!!

ephitran

Aug 24, 2020, 03:26 pm Last Edit: Aug 24, 2020, 03:34 pm by ephitran
Protocol to test if a technology does repel mosquitoes.

For complete disclosure we suggest a simple, inexpensive equipment set to test the technology of your own. You don't have to do the complex one as described in the paper which need few hundreds sample to make the point. The following allows you to test from a few as a dozen or so.

Main components

• 120 Quart Igloo chest cooler
  • 1/4 inch thick top with holes for air pump and for maintenance
  • Dual output Aquarium air pump for 100 gallon tank
  • 7" x 1" aluminum cone
  • Bubble foil (no show individually)
  • And of course your light

You light should not be more than single LED, too much will cause them stay put rather than to react. It is set to aim at the cone, to reflect upward to the foil for the animal to see to react.

The purpose of the foil is to limit the scope of the samples, preventing them to think there are safe places at the back of the light. The way it's set to allow operator to be able to observe their movement during the process.

The igloo is set up a if it is a rearing chamber, we actually do.

Process:

Using normal indoor as the background.
It's optional if you want additional light to lure darker area.

If the technology does work, there may be exceptions, they move out to the open area.

ephitran

Mosquito repelling light an alternative.

The instruction in the original post needs costumed PCBs. The following is the utilization of 8 bit W2812 RGB strips. Which are widely available for you to have something to get a quick start.

Beside the 5V, GRN, all it needs is a DIN pin to D8 to work with the following sketch.

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Acrobotic - 01/10/2013
  Author: x1sc0
  Platforms: Arduino Uno R3
  File: bitbang_whitish.ino

Description:
  This code sample accompanies the "How To Control 'Smart' RGB LEDs:
  WS2811, WS2812, and WS2812B (Bitbanging Tutorial)" Instructable
  (http://www.instructables.com/id/Bitbanging-step-by-step-Arduino-control-of-WS2811-/)

The code illustrates how to continuously set one WS2811 (driver)/
  WS2812/WS2812B RGB LEDs to a full intensity whitish.  The color and
  number of WS281X ICs can be easily modified to explore the full range of
  these wonderful family of LEDs.

The communication is done by bitbanging a self-clocked 800KHz, NZR signal. 
  The implementation was done using assembly so that the timing of the signal
  was extremely accurate.

Usage:
  Connect power (5V), ground (GND), and the Arduino Uno pin defined
  by DIGITAL_PIN to the WS281X ports VCC, GND, and DIN ports, respectively.

Upload the program to an Arduino Uno, and the Green LED of the first
  WS281X will light up to full brightness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
  For a full-blown Arduino library, check out:
  https://github.com/acrobotic/Ai_Library_WS281X/
  Please consider buying products from Acrobotic to help fund future
  Open-Source projects like this! We’ll always put our best effort in every
  project, and release all our design files and code for you to use.
  http://acrobotic.com/
  License:
  Beerware License; if you find the code useful, and we happen to cross
  paths, you're encouraged to buy us a beer. The code is distributed hoping
  that you in fact find it useful, but  without warranty of any kind.
------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
#define NUM_RGB       (8)         // Number of WS281X we have connected
#define NUM_BYTES     (NUM_RGB*3) // Number of LEDs (3 per each WS281X)
#define DIGITAL_PIN   (8)         // Digital port number
#define PORT          (PORTB)     // Digital pin's port
#define PORT_PIN      (PORTB0)    // Digital pin's bit position
#define R             (255)        // Intensity of Red LED
#define G             (255)        // Intensity of Green LED
#define B             (255)        // Intensity of Blue LED

#define NUM_BITS      (8)         // Constant value: bits per byte

uint8_t* rgb_arr = NULL;
uint8_t rgb_red [NUM_BYTES];
uint8_t rgb_green[NUM_BYTES];
uint8_t rgb_blue [NUM_BYTES];
uint8_t rgb_clear[NUM_BYTES];
uint32_t t_f;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(DIGITAL_PIN,OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(DIGITAL_PIN,0);
  int x;
  for(x=0;x<NUM_RGB;x++)
      setColorRGB(x,R,0,0,rgb_red);

for(x=0;x<NUM_RGB;x++)
      setColorRGB(x,0,G,0,rgb_green);

for(x=0;x<NUM_RGB;x++)
      setColorRGB(x,0,0,B,rgb_blue);

for(x=0;x<NUM_RGB;x++)
      setColorRGB(x,0,0,0,rgb_clear);     

if((rgb_arr = (uint8_t *)malloc(NUM_BYTES)))             
  {                 
    memset(rgb_arr, 0, NUM_BYTES);                         
  }       
  render();
}

void loop()
{
  int i;
  long mg,mt;
//  Serial.begin(9600); for timing verification
  while(1)
    {
//      mg=micros();
      for(i=0;i<100;i++)
        {     
        rgb_arr=rgb_red;    render(); delayMicroseconds(250);
        rgb_arr=rgb_clear;  render(); delayMicroseconds(250);
        rgb_arr=rgb_blue;   render(); delayMicroseconds(250);
        rgb_arr=rgb_clear;  render(); delayMicroseconds(250);
        }
//       mg=(micros()-mg)/100;;
//       Serial.println(mg);

}

}
/*
void setColorRGB(uint16_t idx, uint8_t r, uint8_t g, uint8_t b)
{
  if(idx < NUM_RGB)
  {
    uint8_t *p = &rgb_arr[idx*3];
    *p++ = g; 
    *p++ = r;
    *p = b;
  }
}
*/
void setColorRGB(uint16_t idx, uint8_t r, uint8_t g, uint8_t b, uint8_t *ARRAY)
{
  if(idx < NUM_RGB)
  {
    uint8_t *p = &ARRAY[idx*3];
    *p++ = g; 
    *p++ = r;
    *p = b;
  }
}

void render(void)
{
  if(!rgb_arr) return;

while((micros() - t_f) < 50L);  // wait for 50us (data latch)

cli(); // Disable interrupts so that timing is as precise as possible
  volatile uint8_t 
   *p    = rgb_arr,   // Copy the start address of our data array
    val  = *p++,      // Get the current byte value & point to next byte
    high = PORT |  _BV(PORT_PIN), // Bitmask for sending HIGH to pin
    low  = PORT & ~_BV(PORT_PIN), // Bitmask for sending LOW to pin
    tmp  = low,       // Swap variable to adjust duty cycle
    nbits= NUM_BITS;  // Bit counter for inner loop
  volatile uint16_t
    nbytes = NUM_BYTES; // Byte counter for outer loop
  asm volatile(

"nextbit:\n\t"         // -    label                       (T =  0)
    "sbi  %0, %1\n\t"     // 2    signal HIGH                 (T =  2)
    "sbrc %4, 7\n\t"      // 1-2  if MSB set                  (T =  ?)         
     "mov  %6, %3\n\t"    // 0-1   tmp'll set signal high     (T =  4)
    "dec  %5\n\t"         // 1    decrease bitcount           (T =  5)
    "nop\n\t"             // 1    nop (idle 1 clock cycle)    (T =  6)
    "st   %a2, %6\n\t"    // 2    set PORT to tmp             (T =  8)
    "mov  %6, %7\n\t"     // 1    reset tmp to low (default)  (T =  9)
    "breq nextbyte\n\t"   // 1-2  if bitcount ==0 -> nextbyte (T =  ?)               
    "rol  %4\n\t"         // 1    shift MSB leftwards         (T = 11)
    "rjmp .+0\n\t"        // 2    nop nop                     (T = 13)
    "cbi   %0, %1\n\t"    // 2    signal LOW                  (T = 15)
    "rjmp .+0\n\t"        // 2    nop nop                     (T = 17)
    "nop\n\t"             // 1    nop                         (T = 18)
    "rjmp nextbit\n\t"    // 2    bitcount !=0 -> nextbit     (T = 20)
   "nextbyte:\n\t"        // -    label                       -
    "ldi  %5, 8\n\t"      // 1    reset bitcount              (T = 11)
    "ld   %4, %a8+\n\t"   // 2    val = *p++                  (T = 13)
    "cbi   %0, %1\n\t"    // 2    signal LOW                  (T = 15)
    "rjmp .+0\n\t"        // 2    nop nop                     (T = 17)
    "nop\n\t"             // 1    nop                         (T = 18)
    "dec %9\n\t"          // 1    decrease bytecount          (T = 19)
    "brne nextbit\n\t"    // 2    if bytecount !=0 -> nextbit (T = 20)
    ::
    // Input operands         Operand Id (w/ constraint)
    "I" (_SFR_IO_ADDR(PORT)), // %0
    "I" (PORT_PIN),           // %1
    "e" (&PORT),              // %a2
    "r" (high),               // %3
    "r" (val),                // %4
    "r" (nbits),              // %5
    "r" (tmp),                // %6
    "r" (low),                // %7
    "e" (p),                  // %a8
    "w" (nbytes)              // %9
  );
  sei();                          // Enable interrupts