Go Down

Topic: Mosquito control, an simple optical method (Read 2095 times) previous topic - next topic

ephitran

Aug 01, 2020, 09:51 pm Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 10:08 pm by ephitran
For immediate needs.

Or

if you want a quick experience with the technology.

In the above post we discus the dual purpose devices, the light bulbs that repel mosquitoes. Actually in early days we had 1 cool white light bulb and 1 warm white light bulb put next to each other as a set.

I am not going into details how to do but in general for only 'engineers' who know what they are doing and keep me out of any liability if accidents happened. We are dealing with live AC that can kill.

In general you can modify 2 light bulbs, 1 cool white and 1 warm white. They alternately response to the directions of the AC.

-- Normally there are 2 schemes to reduce the voltage for its power supply. The brand names are normal use transformer and the cheap one use capacitors.

-- In either case it has a diode bridge rectifier.

-- It is obligatory that the light bulbs can be open to be modified:

------For transformer style power supply all you need to do is to modify the full wave rectifier to have it becomes haft wave rectifier, one for forward current and the other for the reverse. It i important that all the capacitors removed. Although it has the protective resistor it does not hurt if you add some more 1/2 W 500 ohm???

----- For the capacitors scheme power supply. This is a little tricky. You do the same as the above. Plus you need to add a high power rated high value resistor. (1/2 W 2K ohm ?-- its hot---) You need some way to dissipate the heat too.

Usage:

Put it up very high, up high or at least 2  in the backyard.

You will know where it works where it doesn't to aim the devices accordingly.

So you and your friends can enjoy cool beers in the afternoon or for the ladies to enjoy sunbath.

Good luck!
and
happy mosquitoes free!

ballscrewbob

I love this topic !

I dont want the TRAP though...

But in all honesty could I use a strip of programmable led's and select a specific colour bandwidth from that ?
Oh and do you have anything for blackflies (Nothern Canada) which are evil little baskets of fun.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ephitran

Aug 02, 2020, 05:58 am Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 06:22 am by ephitran
But in all honesty could I use a strip of programmable led's and select a specific colour bandwidth from that ?

With your question i assume that you are one of the techies classes.
Yes.

We have done that a while back.

For frequency you can choose anywhere form 60 HZ to 500 HZ - in the lab 500 is the best however we have noway to tell the difference in life tests. We are very confident that the frequency range can be lower to 50 HZ but the people who promised me feedback (from other country just) just . . . forgot. One think we know for sure that if the any 'quadrant' longer than 11 milliseconds the devices become ineffective.

For color: You should use Red and Blue, they are at the 2 ends of the visible spectrum, to stand out from the background. Personally we think the random color schemes of R,G,B are better. However as human we see them as blinking devices, some users expressed their concern if devices have any affect on those with seizure. It was not our position to argue of the blinking of Christmas lights but go ahead to use red & blue instead.

Again. in the lab we can tell if one is better than the other, but in live test we just don't see those annoying mosquitoes around. Are they the same?

In our limit observations, some predatory insects show more attracting to certain color. It will be the job of the generations to come. We are too 'old' and too limited to explore.

BLACKFLIES:

I have to google to know what they are. I have no idea if i works. For sure the schemes are not effective on  daylight insects: butterflies, bees, dragonflies, wasp, food flies, houseflies.....

ballscrewbob

Aug 02, 2020, 06:05 am Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 06:06 am by ballscrewbob
Yes I need to take into account both mozzies AND blackflies.
Blackflies are not household flies btw.

They have overlapping times but the blackflies have a shorter time duration's (thankfully) and we have seen them force Moose out from thier normal habitat due to the bites as they seem to swarm (they dont but can often be seen in larger quantities than mozzies.

Maybe an alternating pattern could be used to repel both species ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ephitran

Aug 02, 2020, 06:52 am Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 06:54 am by ephitran
Yes I need to take into account both mozzies AND blackflies.

The devices repel most nocturnal insects, fruit vegetables in my backyard reduce their yield to almost zero. Only with the one that have their bright white and afternoon blossoming flowers; they depend on nocturnal for pollination?

We have some limited success on houseflies it may need more twisting please give me some time. I have some physical and linguistic limitations to post. Then you can try both and work from there.

The common wisdom thought all insects are the same. Our observations do not support the notion. We can not tell until and after we try.

ephitran

BLACK FLIES.

FYI: The more nocturnal the insects are the blacker their eyes color (to absorb more photons). and daylight insect normally have brown or brighter color. They use them as color filters.

This is my initial assessment.

In Google images of the black flies, there are at least two different species.

One with black eyes. I assume that they are nocturnal insects and the device should work.

The other with brown eyes the same color of the houseflies they use the bright light of the day to navigate. I don't think the device work.

Just some experiences and observations.

ephitran

Aug 02, 2020, 08:40 pm Last Edit: Aug 03, 2020, 08:04 pm by ephitran
Implementation on LED strip.

Actually you can drive 2 led strips using handful of diodes to control the timing of an AC. 1 blue strip and 1 red strip.

For each back to back pair of diodes the voltage drop 0.7 V at the same time it  opens the resting  gap wider.

In the case of 12 V input LED strip You may use 24 VAC with (24-12)/0.7 = 17 pairs to drive BLUE and RED as above. (The AC drive red with forward current and blue with the reversed)
The red and blue LED(s) should be place next to each other.

ephitran

Aug 04, 2020, 12:52 am Last Edit: Aug 04, 2020, 02:10 am by ephitran
If for any reasons you are anxious to go into production phase.

Then

Attached is schematic file.

And:

H&48R002 optical file

What it does?:
    Red 2 seconds
    Green 2 seconds
    Blue 2 seconds
    Loop:
        Red on; delay 500 microseconds
        Red off; delay 500 microseconds
        Blue on; delay 500 microseconds
        Blue off; delay 500 microseconds
    Goto loop:

Now a days PCB/PCBA vendors (ebay?) will do all of that for you with the 2 files. (assuming that you give them the picture of the USB stick on first picture of the topic) at minimum setup cost and of course some mark ups.

Or:

You supply the OPT file to MCU vendors (in China - At Alibaba)- They will burn the MCU you at no cost. (total at $0.08 ->$0.12. each).

Then:

Either you can supply other components (LED + Resistors + Capacitor) or the PCB/PCBA vendor will take up to give you turnkey product.

-You can draw PCB yourselves or they can do it for you.

The final products are just the 2mm thick PCB.  (Depend on your shopping skill and quantity you may have them in less than a quarter a piece).  They will be ready in a week + shipping even in hundred thousands.

The picture shows just PCB with standard options: 2 mm thick, white solder mask and gold plated.

Good luck.

Go Up