Go Down

Topic: Portenta Carrier Board (Read 373 times) previous topic - next topic

rbarris

Is it still coming ?

It seems to have disappeared from the Arduino site.

https://www.arduino.cc/search?tab=&q=carrier+board  (no hits)

the page is blank

https://www.arduino.cc/pro/hardware/product/portenta-carrier

jwestmoreland

rbarris,

There was/is another thread here: and yep, the URL you've pointed out appears to be blank right now.

Maybe per1234 or someone else from Arduino will chime in.

Regards,
John W.

sbhklr

Hi all!

Thank you for bringing this topic up. You spotted it right, the page is gone for now. The reason is that we're clearing the stage to make an exciting announcement.
In the last months we've been listening to you to understand your needs and hence we're incredibly excited to lift the curtain very soon. I hope this answers your question to some extent and hopefully it makes you just as excited as we are! :-)

jwestmoreland

Thanks for the update sbhklr!

rbarris

Hi all!

Thank you for bringing this topic up. You spotted it right, the page is gone for now. The reason is that we're clearing the stage to make an exciting announcement.
In the last months we've been listening to you to understand your needs and hence we're incredibly excited to lift the curtain very soon. I hope this answers your question to some extent and hopefully it makes you just as excited as we are! :-)
If I had my hands on the controls, some things I might do:

a1) switch to a single high density connector on Portenta's underside instead of two.  Reason being, it's challenge enough to spec out a board and get it made with the fine pitch connectors, but also having to have two of them precisely spaced such that the Portenta reliably attaches without strain, causes me some concern.

-or-

a2) adopt a pinout style similar to the Black Mesa Labs S7-Mini, which has 40 pins at traditional 0.1" spacing, and a set of 80 pins at 0.05" spacing, interleaved (half of them mirroring the original 40).

see https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/TE0890-01-25-1C-S7-Mini-Fully-Open-Source-Module-with-Xilinx-Spartan-7-7S25-64-MBit-HyperRAM

b) provide a minimal breakout board that acts like a Nucleo-H745 board: USB or ext power, integrated STLink debugger, all high-density pins brought out to hobbyist friendly 0.1" headers.  Full access to pins for prototyping without the HD connector hurdle.

c) Provide a "Rosetta stone" project in STM32Cube IDE allowing anyone with working STM32 HAL baremetal or FreeRTOS code to build and run it on Portenta, with any necessary pin/MCU configs already sorted so SDRAM/flash/wifi work.

Plainly these are my selfish asks, because I have a project up and running on a Nucleo H745 board using CubeIDE and HAL, and Portenta is an attractive next step because of size and density (plus wifi,SDRAM,flash, LiPo attach), but I haven't yet figured out how to bring this code over, and I can't really talk to the Portenta without STLink or a breakout board.  Oh and I can't hook up most of the external hardware until I can get to the HD pins.

marcelhensen

Thanks sbhklr,

have been looking forward to the carrier board for a long time, the bare Portenta is quite limited in use.
I didn't want to solder in the 2.54mm pin headers so I would not have to remove them again once the board comes available. I was about to roll my own board (mind you,the arduino support was not even able to tell me the exact distance between the HD connectors, doh!)
Anything you can tell us on availabilty & pricing yet?

Cheers

Go Up