Go Down

Topic: STM32F103C8T6 and Arduino (Read 267 times) previous topic - next topic

alah

Jul 31, 2020, 04:07 pm Last Edit: Jul 31, 2020, 04:12 pm by alah Reason: trying to atta webpage link
Hi ALL; I´m considering sourcing a nano? with this processor.
It costs the same as a bare 328p chip. The board uses a CH340 converter.
Does this forum support this processor?
If so, does arduino IDE run on it? Link to pic attached.
Had problem doing this, hope its doneTHANKs.

pert

Yes, but if you have questions that are specific to STM32, stm32duino.com is probably a better place to ask.

If you have more general Arduino questions, this is a better place to ask.

If so, does arduino IDE run on it?
No. However, I think you are misunderstanding how the Arduino IDE works. The IDE is an "integrated development environment" program that runs on your computer. It provides everything you need to write firmware programs ("sketches"), compile those programs, and upload the compiled binaries to a microcontroller.

So it's not the IDE that runs on the microcontroller, but the firmware. Can you use the Arduino IDE to write, compile, and upload firmware to the STM32F103C8T6? Yes! Thousands of people are doing exactly this.

alah

THANKs, that was a really quick answer, the way I like it.
Sorry, but I posted to their forum but each time I check my post
it´s one, max two guests and me viewing.
So I should be able to upload and run my arduino sketches?
I´m downloading some tutorials at the moment, thanks

MrMark

Hi ALL; I´m considering sourcing a nano? with this processor.
It costs the same as a bare 328p chip. The board uses a CH340 converter.
If so, does arduino IDE run on it? Link to pic attached.
Had problem doing this, hope its doneTHANKs.

It would be helpful if you were to post a link to the particular board.  It isn't really an Arduino nano if it's not using a 328p chip and the STM32F103C8T6 had native USB so it would be unusual to have a CH340 USB to Serial converter on board.

Regardless, there is Arduino IDE support for STM32 provided by STM.  Getting this set up and running is more involved than, say, an Arduino Uno, and the documentation is scattered around the internet and much of it is outdated as the capability evolved across a number of different efforts.

westfw

The board uses a CH340 converter.
That's relatively uncommon.   STM32F103 has direct USB support, and most arduino-compatible clones use that...
AFAIK, the most common types are "Blue Pill" boards, based on an ST reference design, and "Maple Mini" clones, based on the Leaf-labs Maple Mini design.  The latter was designed to work with the Arduino IDE, and has a bit of additional circuitry to auto-reset for uploads, while the blue pill (slightly cheaper) can requiring some fiddling with jumpers, at least till an alternate bootloader is burnt.  (the chip itself has a built-in bootloader.)
Apparently the STM32F103 chip is significantly "cloned", and many of the cheap boards do not have a genuine ST chip.  Some of the clones have "issues."  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/cheap-bluepill-very-likely-it-has-fake-stm32-right/

alah

Sorry, the vendor published it as " nano mejorado con stm32 " and in his description stated that their bords use an CH340. Well it doesn´t. It´s of course a clone, I new that because we don´t get anything original.
I´ve seen a few videos and tutorials which say that, after uploading an Arduino bootloader  with a USB to SERIAL cable, I can upload arduino sketches, just as I do with the UNO, b just cahanging the pins accordingly.

STM32duino seems to be deserted; so to finish this conversation:

Is this possible? ( I dont have time to learn another platform?
THANKs.

pert

If you don't have time to learn another platform, then don't buy a board of another platform. Stick with the platform you already know.

Even though Arduino sketches are often very portable between boards of different architectured, you'll also find that a significant number of libraries and sketches that work fine on your Uno won't work on the STM32 board.

Go Up