Go Down

Topic: Board manager on latest release fails to load DUE SAMX libraries  (Read 245 times) previous topic - next topic

jbirdlebough

I just built from source, bossa, toolchain, full latest Arduino IDE version running on ubuntu 20 64 bit which is running on RPI 4B 4GB board that is connected to DUE.  

When I try to install the DUE SAMX with board manager it fails complaing of bossa is missing and bits of toolchain.  

It does work on Win10.  

What is needed to make it work on ubuntu 20? and is this signaling the end of life of the DUE board?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

J

pert

Also reported at https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/10579

Ah, I just saw that the Boards Manager installation is failing for you, so you need the modified package index that specifies the new versions of the tools dependencies. So disregard the previous (deleted) instructions and follow these instead:

This isn't about Ubuntu 20. This is about 64 bit ARM Linux.

The Arduino SAM Boards platform of the Due is using the 4.8.3-2014q1 version of the arm-none-eabi-gcc compiler. That is an older version and Arduino didn't package arm-none-eabi-gcc 4.8.3-2014q1 for the "aarch64-linux-gnu" host type of your 64 bit ARM Linux OS.

The situation is the same for bossac.

Try this:

First, it's necessary to install the Arduino SAM Boards platform using a modified package index file I have prepared. The only difference from the official one is that I have specified the latest versions of arm-none-eabi-gcc and bossac as the dependencies.

(In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences

In the "Additional Boards Manager URLs" field, add this URL:
Code: [Select]
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/per1234/542b91ae032eda10e6159fe1affb7f55/raw/7afa67fdb4003e865c829f7ddba92ec36be91271/package_samarm64_index.json

Click the "OK" button.

Tools > Board > Boards Manager

Wait for the downloads to finish.

From the list of available boards platforms, click on "Arduino SAM Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M3) with ARM 64 bit support".

Wait for the installation to finish.

Click the "Close" button.

Unfortunately, Arduino SAM Boards pins arm-none-eabi-gcc 4.8.3-2014q1 in one of its configuration files, so it's necessary to modify the configuration so that it will use the new version.

Open ~/.arduino15/packages/per1234/hardware/sam/1.6.12/platform.txt in a text editor.

Change line 20 from:
compiler.path={runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.8.3-2014q1.path}/bin/
to:
compiler.path={runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc-7-2017q4.path}/bin/

Save the file.

Restart the IDE.

Try compiling/uploading to your Due again. Did it work?

Go Up