Go Down

Topic: Non chinese made stepper motors (Read 502 times) previous topic - next topic

mib7289

Does anybody know of any non chinese (trying to avoid for moral reasons) stepper motor manufacturers with online distribution?

hammy

You need to google the spec of the motor you want , deg per step, voltage, type etc - then look for country of manufacture in their data .

For small hobby stuff , you might not find any .

ballscrewbob

There are still some Japanese manufactures and I think a couple of European ones (Germany comes to mind).

Pretty odd morals if you let a considerably much higher price dictate selection.

"Cuts off nose to spite face"

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Paul_KD7HB

I also think it's pretty odd and probably misdirected when all the components, including the circuit board for your Arduino and all your other electronic accessories are made in China or use Chinese made components.

Paul

Robin2

I don't know where the OP lives but I would have sympathy with a preference for locally made products even if the price is higher.

However if the OP is neither German nor Chinese (for example) I can't see the point of being prepared to buy a German product and not a Chinese product.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

larryd

Aug 01, 2020, 07:43 pm Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 07:53 pm by larryd
We use to buy locally but the prices are so high and often the quality is not as good.

Just got 6 pair of China leather XXL work gloves for $49 ($8.16 each).

Locally made gloves 2 pair were $59 ($29.50 each), quality was crap.

Don't cut your nose off !

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Robin2

Just got 6 pair of China leather XXL work gloves for $49 ($8.16 each).

Locally made gloves 2 pair were $59 ($29.50 each), quality was crap.
It's very disappointing if the quality is poor and I have no disagreement with a decision to buy suitable quality.

But have you ensured that the Chinese workers were as well paid (or better paid, since the quality is better) than the Canadian workers?

And were the environmental and working conditions as good for Chinese leather making?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

larryd

Aug 01, 2020, 09:29 pm Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 09:30 pm by larryd
You know it's interesting, all our beef hides (and we produce a hell of a lot of beef) goes to China for tanning.

They tan the hides send it to their leather processing mills, use industrial tools (and yes much manual labour) sew it into final products, then sell it thru Amazon for $8 per pair.

Locally they buy the tanned leather back from China, cut it to pattern and sew it into a final product, all for almost 4X the price as China's gloves.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

ballscrewbob

@mib7289

Where would you LIKE to purchase from country wise ?

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

You know it's interesting, all our beef hides (and we produce a hell of a lot of beef) goes to China for tanning.
I have a friend who is implacably opposed to capitalism whereas I see many faults with it due to the excessive greed of a relatively small number of individuals. But the sort of thing you mention makes it harder for me to disagree with my friend.

...R

MarkT

Checkout aerospace rated motors, you'll likely find something.  The budget goes up another big factor though.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

mib7289

Thanks for the input.

@ballscrewbob

Personally for me, I'd much rather pay more for a motor that wasn't made from China than get cheap motor that is encouraging China's clear slave labor at worst, oppressive labor at best.

I'd certainly prefer locally made (US) but I'd be open to any country, that would be more ethical from my POV.

@Paul_KD7HB

If you could also suggest a microcontroller made that was not tied to China I'd love to hear it as well.   As you stated buying hobby electronics with out ties to China is difficult and may be impossible. Admittedly I am not knowledgeable enough in sourcing to know where to go for such hobby parts and certainly not knowledgeable enough to know how to develop my own parts, I am simply trying to not support China when I'm able and asking how I can do a better job with my own hobby.

ballscrewbob

@mib7289

China will be involved somewhere along the line be it only a small part of another object.
Most "Made in American" cars have a large majority of Chinese components and or labour involved.
They should really just be labelled "Assembled in America"

The same goes for almost all of the power tools etc.

mib7289

@ballscrewbob

Fully agree, I'm not going to be able to control everything or  change the world. I am only trying to do the best I can, where I can.

ballscrewbob

Then start with the multinational companies in your own country.

It is they who are at the root cause.
Once they are made to realise that "outsourcing" to China has less benefit and they invest in the country of origin that is where the difference is made.
More local jobs without being to nationalistic.

Not by punitive measures against Chinese workers or the Chinese system.
China holds a very large majority of the US national debt / loans so until bonds such as those are broken at the source very little change will take place (if any)
Sure countries will decry China and impose minor tarrifs but that is all they will do and nothing to cull the systemic outsourcing which would deprive China some its vast wealth.

Go Up