Go Down

Topic: Help with UTFT ILI9486/9488 (Read 332 times) previous topic - next topic

hp4

Hi new to this UTFT display thing
I have a display that needs drivers for i have been told it is ILI9486 or ILI9488 3.5" with sd card
and i want to use it on a Mega 2560, are there any test scripts i can use too
many thanks for any help given
H

david_prentice

Please post a link to the actual screen that you have bought.  e.g. Ebay sale page.

You will get an accurate reply.

David.

hp4

Aug 01, 2020, 03:39 pm Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 03:50 pm by hp4
Hi
I got it from a site called WISH they have loads of stuff from China
it just came in paket with no info

I have put it on my Mega 2560 and it lights up white
thanks
H

david_prentice

Go on.   You bought it online.   Post a link.

If the Wish website has deceased,   just search on AliExpress or Ebay for the same item.

Or post a clear photo of the pcb side of the display.
It will be red, blue, green, ...
It will have some printed labels,   chips have printed part numbers.

David.

hp4

Ok I will try to send a picture of the back of the board

hp4

david_prentice

Aug 01, 2020, 06:43 pm Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 06:48 pm by david_prentice
It is a regular Blue 3.5 inch Uno Shield.   Available from anywhere.

1.  Install MCUFRIEND_kbv and Adafruit_GFX via IDE Library Manager.
2.  Plug Shield into MEGA2560 as Nature intended
3.  Run all the MCUFRIEND_kbv examples.

No,   official UTFT does not support ILI9486 via 8080-8 interface.

If you confirm the controller ID,  I can probably show you how to alter UTFT library.

Seriously,   I just searched for "ILI9486" and found this blue Uno shield immediately.
Posting a clickable link means that any reader can find the URL whether on PC, tablet, phone, ...

Much easier than finding a camera, photo etc, ...

David.

Edit.   The text and description on that Ebay link is pure fiction.   But the pcb photo matches your shield.   (Ebay, Ali, ... shops often post rubbish text but human eyes can recognise photos)

hp4

Thank you David, yes thats the bugger found it on Aliexpress site
H

hp4

Hi
i have done items 1 and 2 as above post but when i try to run the demo from mcufriend_kbv
the words mcufriend_kbv are in a orange colour, can anyone tell me why this is

thanks
H

david_prentice

Which example?  Quote the example name.

What error messages?  Copy-paste the build output from the IDE.

hp4

Hi

the example is the testcard_kbv
file - examples - mcufriend_kbv - testcard_kbv

heres the error

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows XP), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_MonoOLED.cpp:20:0:

C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_MonoOLED.h:30:10: fatal error: Adafruit_I2CDevice.h: No such file or directory

#include <Adafruit_I2CDevice.h>

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

Multiple libraries were found for "MCUFRIEND_kbv.h"
 Used: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv
 Not used: C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

i did try to remove the files from C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv

i did notice that C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries did not have MCUFRIEND_kbv in, so i copied them from C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv and then removed them.

hope this helps

H

david_prentice

C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_MonoOLED.h:30:10: fatal error: Adafruit_I2CDevice.h: No such file or directory
That is an Adafruit_GFX problem.   Update the Adafruit_GFX library.

Multiple libraries were found for "MCUFRIEND_kbv.h"
 Used: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv
 Not used: C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv
Leave the IDE.
Delete C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv directory
Delete C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv directory
Start IDE
Install MCUFRIEND_kbv via the IDE Library Manager

User libraries should appear in C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries
User libraries should never be in C:\Program Files\

If you have several User libraries in the "wrong place",  I suggest that you make notes of their names.
Then check that they are available via the Library Manager.

Leave IDE. Delete bad directories.  Start IDE.  Install them properly via the Library Manager.

Please let me know if you still have a problem.

David.

hp4

Hi

still got a bit of a prob with Adafruit_GFX

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows XP), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\hardware -hardware C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries -libraries C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:mega:cpu=atmega2560 -ide-version=10612 -build-path C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_113429 -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -verbose C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv\examples\testcard_kbv\testcard_kbv.ino
C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\hardware -hardware C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\Arduino1612\libraries -libraries C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:mega:cpu=atmega2560 -ide-version=10612 -build-path C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_113429 -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -verbose C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv\examples\testcard_kbv\testcard_kbv.ino
Using board 'mega' from platform in folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3

hp4

this is the rest of error

Detecting libraries used...
"C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\variants\mega" "C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_113429\sketch\testcard_kbv.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\variants\mega" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library" "C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_113429\sketch\testcard_kbv.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\variants\mega" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv" "C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_113429\sketch\testcard_kbv.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\variants\mega" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_GFX.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\variants\mega" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_MonoOLED.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing  -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.3\variants\mega" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_MonoOLED.cpp" -o "C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\arduino_build_113429\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
In file included from C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_MonoOLED.cpp:20:0:

C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library\Adafruit_MonoOLED.h:30:10: fatal error: Adafruit_I2CDevice.h: No such file or directory

#include <Adafruit_I2CDevice.h>

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

Using library Adafruit_GFX_Library at version 1.9.0 in folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX_Library
Using library MCUFRIEND_kbv at version 2.9.9-Release in folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard P\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Mega or Mega 2560.

H

david_prentice

Your builds are using these symbols:
Code: [Select]
-DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_MEGA2560 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR
which implies that your Arduino IDE is v1.6.12 (released on Sep 21, 2016) but the current IDE is v1.8.13

It is not imperative to use the "latest" IDE but it is wise to update every now and then.
Don't ever use a "nightly build".   And personally I would not install the "current Release" until it has been used for a few months by the rest of the world.
This PC has v1.8.12

The IDE version is not an MCUFRIEND_kbv issue.   It only uses Adafruit_GFX

But Adafruit constantly change the "other files" in the Adafruit_GFX package e.g. Adafruit_SPITFT, Adafruit_MonoOLED
And most importantly,  Adafruit force you to install several other libraries.   None of which are needed by MCUFRIEND_kbv

There are two "solutions".   Choose one.
1.   update your Arduino IDE from v1.6.12 to v1.8.13
2.   downgrade your Adafruit_GFX from v1.9.0 to v1.7.x

I recommend (1).   It will let you get on with life.

I am surprised that I have not had more feedback on this.    It is not uncommon for punters to be using very old IDE versions.

David.

Go Up