Go Down

Topic: Running Brushless Fan safely from Arduino (Read 105 times) previous topic - next topic

ohmmygod

Hi,

First thing first, I haven't tinkered with electronics in a decade and therefore a bit rusty...

I salvaged a DC Brushless fan from an Apple Airport Extreme device that I had laying around and want to use it in a project (Delta electronics BFB0605MB for those interested in device reference).

It has a 4-pin interface (- // PWN // O/P // +) and is rated DC 5V 0.32A.
I found and read through the following documentation from the manufacturer: PDF link

But how do I proceed from here?

I have read the following (about Arduino Uno):
DC Current per I/O Pin: 40.0 mA

DC Current per VCC and GND Pins: 200.0 mA

Overall DC current limit for all IO pins put together: 200 mA
Does this in principle mean that I can hook up the fan directly to the 5V and GND pins safely (safe for the fan and safe for the Arduino)? Can I also connect the PWN pin to any PWM pins on the Arduino and provide an appropriate pulse to set the fan speed?

Thank you in advance, and apologies if my question is not precise enough.

Paul__B

Does this in principle mean that I can hook up the fan directly to the 5V and GND pins safely (safe for the fan and safe for the Arduino)?
Yes, presuming that you also connect to the 5V and GND pins of the Arduino, the necessary regulated 5 V power supply to operate the fan.  You need 5 V for the fan and you need 5 V for the Arduino, so you must provide that.  If the fan only (nominally) requires 0.32 A, then a common "phone charger" rated at 1 A would be suitable.  As long as you are not powering too many other things as well.  :smiley-eek:

You could simply connect the phone charger to the USB port, but that port has a limit of 500 mA, so you would have problems when adding other things.  Best to do it properly and split out the 5 V and ground and connect to the 5V and GND pins of the Arduino, and of course the fan.

Can I also connect the PWN pin to any PWM pins on the Arduino and provide an appropriate pulse to set the fan speed?
That should be the way to do it.  :smiley-lol:

(PWN?  :smiley-roll-sweat: )

Go Up