Go Down

Topic: writing a tutorial (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

johnerrington

I've written some pages about "beginner stuff"; using switches, driving LEDs, debouncing etc.

Is it acceptable to write the introductory stuff in a tutorial and link to my site for the extended information?  Or is there a better way to do this? Here is an example:

Driving LEDs
I'm often asked "what is the right value resistor to drive an LED from a digital output on the arduino". Well "it depends". It depends on (1) the supply voltage, (2) the current you choose to run through the LED, and (3) the LED forward voltage. That in turn depends on the colour of your LED.

I measured the forward voltage of some cheap LED's at a current of 10mA; 3mm and 5mm sizes showed the same values. (figures on my site)

NOTE: for use as indicators indoors, red, orange and yellow LEDs AND white ones are typically acceptable at currents of about 2mA. Blue need a little more.

While common 3mm and 5mm leds CAN be run at 20mA and more, a maximum of 10mA is generally sufficient, and limits your consumption, especially if you have several indicator lights. (See below for limit of consumption on output ports.)

Green LEDs are MUCH less efficient than red - yellow ones, and need a higher current if their intensities need to match.

further information
I'm trying to help. If I find your question interesting I'll give you karma. If you find my input useful please give me karma (I need it)

UKHeliBob

Is it acceptable to write the introductory stuff in a tutorial and link to my site for the extended information?
This is a tricky subject because one person's "helpful link" may look like spam to another

Personally I favour posting directly to a topic here with separate posts devoted to chapters of information, but others may feel differently

See Using millis() for timing.  A beginners guide, Several things at the same time and Serial input basics - updated for examples of the style I am talking about
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

johnerrington

Thanks for prompt reply & advice HeliBob;

IMHO (as an educator - retired) some of these tutorials are just too wordy.  The pages I have done use diagrams, figures, tables etc so complicated to put into the forum.

I'll have a go at one and see what feedback I get - I guess I can always take it down if its badly received?

The aim is to provide the "beginner" advice and anyone who wants more can follow the link.

If youre interested, this page is perhaps a good example of the "extended info".  so you can see what I mean.

http://www.skillbank.co.uk/arduino/switchbounce.htm

Or perhaps the forum isnt the right place?
I'm trying to help. If I find your question interesting I'll give you karma. If you find my input useful please give me karma (I need it)

Robin2

IMHO (as an educator - retired) some of these tutorials are just too wordy.  The pages I have done use diagrams, figures, tables

[.....]

If youre interested, this page is perhaps a good example of the "extended info".  so you can see what I mean.

http://www.skillbank.co.uk/arduino/switchbounce.htm
I'm intrigued by your comment that the tutorials are too wordy in the context of your link. No doubt the info in your link can be of interest but IMHO it is far too detailed for most Arduino newbies.

The problem I have with Tutorials that are presented on this Forum and where the actual advice is in an external link is the fact that they provide no opportunity for peer review. And I have seen a few Posts on the Forum where the advice was, frankly, wrong. I don't assume that an external link necessarily has good advice.

I don't see any problem if someone responds to a question with advice and also states that more info can be found at XXX.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

johnerrington

Jul 29, 2020, 12:02 pm Last Edit: Jul 29, 2020, 12:21 pm by johnerrington
Thanks again - useful feedback.
I'll split that page into "simple stuff" and "debounce in software"
I wrote the last bit because I felt the bounce library needed better documentation.

wildbill

I would not be inclined to follow links off-site unless I was already familiar with the target.

Be wary of spending too much time on tutorials. You will notice that almost no-one even reads the stickies that tell you how to use the forums. Similarly I suspect, for any of the content in the tutorials section.

Of course, it's great to have a suitable tutorial available if someone is struggling with a topic that you have already documented, just be ready for 500 threads which make it clear that no-one read your stuff.

UKHeliBob

+1 to all of that Bill

I suspect that almost nobody finds the tutorials by themselves, but it is useful to be able to link to them when someone has a query or problem with a subject, and other people reading the thread also look at them out of interest if nothing else
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Go Up