Go Down

Topic: Can Trump/Republicans steal 2020 election by bending Laws (Read 6134 times) previous topic - next topic

Coding Badly

Oct 21, 2020, 08:58 pm Last Edit: Oct 21, 2020, 08:58 pm by Coding Badly
To change the voting system would mean changing the Constitution which is nigh on impossible.
I assume by "the Constitution" you mean the U.S. Constitution in which case your claim is not accurate.

This is a good example.  Were some / most / all states to apportion based on the popular vote the electoral college would be irrelavent.

ardly

I assume by "the Constitution" you mean the U.S. Constitution in which case your claim is not accurate.

This is a good example.  Were some / most / all states to apportion based on the popular vote the electoral college would be irrelavent.

I do not mean to be disrespectful but the U.S. Constitution requires the Electoral College to vote in the President (let's ingore all the problems of a hung vote). Your link does not suggest changing the Constitution but legally, working round or bending it. There in lies the problem because perhaps Trump has found a way of 'legally' working round what most people would expect the outcome of the election to be.

Anyway what you are pointing out is that the States can, please please let me say it, 'Trump' the Electoral College by ganging up to vote together regardless of how the individual States which they represent vote! That is exactly what is happening, but unfortunately not in time for the coming election.

However if you wished a truely Earth shattering proposition; the members of the Electoral College opposed to Trump could vote him out even if they do not have the majority in the College all they need is to swing the vote.

Let's not forget that these people are beholden to nobody. When they cast their votes in the Electoral College they do so entirely of their own free will, they and only they decide what they think is in the best interest of the USA. They are not tied to any votes or regulations in their States, the are free agents.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Coding Badly

...the U.S. Constitution requires the Electoral College to vote in the President...
And gives the states the right to choose how those votes are cast.

ballscrewbob

And gives the states the right to choose how those votes are cast.

Then why even have a popular vote at all.
Not like the college has to follow the popular vote.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Coding Badly

Then why even have a popular vote at all.
Required by state law.  The details vary by state.

ardly

What would worry me is the possibility that Trump might seek to stay in office illegally. In that case would the military support him or oppose him?

...R
If the matter is decided by some States where there has been high voting by mail Trump will try to have the results in those States overturned by any means possible, he has already laid the groundwork for that.  He will seek to have the mailed votes exluded and maybe (if such a thing is possible) have the Electoral College meet with those States excluded. He is trying to load the Supreme Court by replacing The Notorious RBG with great haste.

Then you turn to the military.
The regular forces are extremely unlikely to act on American soil. The have actually said that they will uphold not just the letter of the Law but the spirit of the Law - which is quite an odd statement because it implies the military interpreting the Law to determine its spirit. I do not think Trump can take much comfort from the statement because to me it means even if he has managed to retain power by legal shenanigans they will not act to throw him out but they will not act to keep him either.

The National Guard are also not likely to be a problem as they would normally fall under the control of State Governors.

Where there could be an issue is that Trump has been creating what is in effect a Federal Police Force, they are armed and they have been used against civilians in the BLM protests. As a Federal resource, which I call the Praetorian Guard, Trump might get them to do his bidding. Highly problematic would also be the armed so called "militias" which might also mainly follow Trump's leads.

CrossRoads

"He is trying to load the Supreme Court by replacing The Notorious RBG with great haste."

Done, Justice Barrett sworn in last night (10/26/2020).

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

ardly

"He is trying to load the Supreme Court by replacing The Notorious RBG with great haste."

Done, Justice Barrett sworn in last night (10/26/2020).

Damn that was quick and there is already talk about the possibility of impeaching her if she does not  recuse herself from votes on 2020 election litigation - which would look like a quid pro quo to Trump for getting the post.

Let's hope that she has more character than to do that, and I think I heard her being quoted as saying she would be independent.

She is one of these strange creatures called Constitutional Originalists who view the Constitution much as Fundamentalist Christians view the Bible. It is cast in stone and must be enacted exactly as the original authors intended when it was written despite the passage of time and society changing.

Somebody pointed the Constitution starts "We the people of the united States" but at the time of writting the authors did not have in mind the people who can vote in the USA today.

Robin2

Then you turn to the military.
The regular forces are extremely unlikely to act on American soil. The have actually said that they will uphold not just the letter of the Law but the spirit of the Law
Doesn't that suggest that they would not take orders from a "supreme commander" who holds his position illegally?

And by "illegal" I mean in contravention of the Supreme Court.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

If you don't mind bad language then this says it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnHfYbr1cQ

...R
Made my day thats fer sure...
And I dare you to get through this one without wanting to pull some people through the screen and beat them with a spiked club.

I made it to 3 minutes before I decided my screen was worth more than almost all thier thoughts put together.

Nepotism Hmmm LMAO at the new swamp...its Yuuuge.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

TomGeorge

Hi,
What's this I hear that WALMART are pulling all their firearms and ammo off the shelves because election day is coming?

Tom..... :) :o
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

ballscrewbob

Hi,
What's this I hear that WALMART are pulling all their firearms and ammo off the shelves because election day is coming?

Tom..... :) :o
Tis true but not the first time they have done it...Quick raid the backroom...Oh wait they are still selling them though maybe a 241 deal ?

larryd

@ballscrewbob

You are messing with my mind, so many avatars . . .

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Robin2

Go Up