Go Down

Topic: resistors with spaghetti legs (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

The rough plastic tweezers that come in common medical dressing packs are pretty much useless for gripping anything!

However disposable instruments are now frequently used for minor surgery instead of having to certify "in-house" sterilising, so if you can arrange to intercept the used (and suitably washed) instruments, the tweezers and suture holders are particularly useful (though the tweezers are often too coarse for the job).  :smiley-lol:

raschemmel

Why haven't you posted a photo of these 'squiggly' resistors ?
I assume you don't have calipers to measure the OD ?

refriedwhiskey

Sep 11, 2020, 02:45 am Last Edit: Sep 11, 2020, 03:15 am by refriedwhiskey
Thanks for the replies and advice, everybody. I've resorted to needle-nose pliers a few times, and I'm going to try that trick of clipping the leads with a side cutter.

Meanwhile, I think the breadboard that came with this kit may have been a big contributing factor. I just got a Sunfounder holder for an UNO/MEGA (and/or a Raspberry Pi) and a breadboard, and it came with a breadboard that's given me no serious trouble so far with these resistors. That's only one of the reasons I wish I'd gotten one of these holders sooner.

refriedwhiskey

BTW it took a lot of restraint on my part not to compare this situation to an more organic situation.
I wasn't going to say anything. :D

raschemmel

Does it start with 's' and end with 't' ?

Paul__B

I was thinking of ending in "k".  But say no more.  :smiley-roll-sweat:

refriedwhiskey

I was thinking of ending in "k".  But say no more.  :smiley-roll-sweat:
Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

srnet

I use breadboards fairly often, cheap ones from the far East.

About 99% of the time I use the 1/8W wired resistors, so no big wires.

Dont have a problem poking the ends into the holes myself, no complaints from the breadboard either.   

No PMs please, they dont get answered.

raschemmel

refriedwhiskey

STILL NO PHOTO OF THE ISSUE
Thanks, but the problem seems to be resolved. As I posted above, it was not so much the resistors as the breadboard. I've since gotten two breadboards that work fine with the same kind of resistors I was having trouble with. Old breadboard is in the bin.

raschemmel

I have a news flash for you.
It isn't all about you.
This is an OPEN SOURCE forum.
There are people reading your post wondering
what you are talking about because they've never
used a breadboard or seen a resistor for that matter. Providing photos allows them to learn
'virtually' so that they can learn what to purchase and what to avoid when they decide to take the first step. Now they'll never know...

aarg

Be careful what you ask for around here. :)

... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

raschemmel

What does 'spagetti legs ' mean ?

dougp

What does 'spagetti legs ' mean ?
To me it means the component leads are so flimsy they bend when you push them into the breadboard - unless you're using the aforementioned tweezers clamped on within a quarter inch of the end of the lead.  Breadboard insertion resistance could also be a factor.
I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

raschemmel

Must be someone in Italy using that description.
Here in the USA we would just say 'crappy' or 'flimsy'

Go Up