Go Down

Topic: How to use Yun as a router (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dattasaurabh82

I mean How can I connect Yun to my main network and then use Yun as in AP mode so that I can access internet through Yun from any other machine. Networking becomes much more simpler ...
 I need it for a spl purpose ..

ShapeShifter

The Yun IS already a router. The OpenWRT software running on the Linux side is specifically designed to be uploaded as a replacement firmware for a wide variety of routers.

Take a look here for configuration ideas: OpenWRT Recipes

Those pages will make heavy use of manually editing configuration files. The Yun also has a very capable advanced configuration web interface that can do much of the same work without needing to manually edit files. The trick is figuring out what the edits are actually doing, and figuring out how to do it with the web interface. That's easier to do if you understand the concepts they are trying to show, and much more difficult if you are the type to just copy/paste code without trying to understand what it does.

sonnyyu

Dec 14, 2015, 02:59 pm Last Edit: Dec 14, 2015, 03:00 pm by sonnyyu
Yun as a router?

for price of Yun (~80$), You could get much powerful router (base on openwrt same as Yun).

ShapeShifter

for price of Yun (~80$), You could get much powerful router (base on openwrt same as Yun).
True. But most routers wont have some crucial Yun features (at least not without some serious hacking):
  • Arduino microcontroller
  • Shield connectors
  • SD card
  • USB host socket
  • PoE ability

On the other hand, you will get more Ethernet ports and probably a faster processor.

mart256

Dec 15, 2015, 02:09 am Last Edit: Dec 15, 2015, 02:14 am by mart256
Theres a router for 20$ in ebay, tp link wr702 that has usb host, connect it to a nano arduino 4$ and you get a Yun for 24$

dattasaurabh82

Take a look here for configuration ideas: OpenWRT Recipes
Pardon my slow learning curve .. But I understand that I've to work it off as in bridge mode .  

Home router (over wifi)<---------> Yun(over wifi) <----------> Hosts

I'll apply some things tomorrow and see where I can go with it. if I get stuck I'll give a call ..

Yun as a router?

I found an article from you that might help . In my case both ways it is wifi and not ethernet at all.
http://www.ibuyopenwrt.com/index.php/14-yun-compatible/network-and-yun/33-as-an-ap-to-a-router

captry

Sep 15, 2020, 01:23 am Last Edit: Sep 15, 2020, 01:33 am by captry
Ok, I think I am in the correct place.
I have a unique application I am trying to pull off and I am a noob to Yun.
I have and IP camera that I want to place remotely.  I want to connect the camera to the Yun with a network cable and mount a 4G/LTE shield to the Yun to use to connect it to the internet.  I then want to be able to log into the camera via the IP of the cell card to view the video stream.
If I could also activate wifi AP so if I am near it, I can connect via wifi to access the video feed that would also be great.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Go Up