Go Down

Topic: WifiNiNA Firmware update (Read 243 times) previous topic - next topic

TimEllis

The current library version for WifiNiNA is v1.7.1.  Using the "released" IDE I can only update to version 1.3.  If I use the daily build, as of September 16, I can update to v1.4.1.  Which works better.  Should it be possible to update the WifiNiNA firmware to 1.7.1?  Is there a list of fixes for the different verisions?
Thanks,
-tim

ballscrewbob

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

Should it be possible to update the WifiNiNA firmware to 1.7.1?
No. The WiFiNINA library and the NINA firmware are two completely different things (though they work together) with unrelated version numbers. The NINA firmware is the program that runs on the NINA-W102 module (an ESP32 microcontroller with WiFi radio) thats's on the WiFi-enabled Arduino boards. The WiFiNINA library is part of your sketch program, which runs on the primary microcontroller (e.g., ATSAMD21G18 on the MKR WiFi 1010 and Nano 33 IoT, ATmega4809 on the Uno WiFi Rev2) that's on the Arduino board.

So they are two different programs running on two different microcontrollers that communicate with each other.

The programs have completely different source code, so it makes sense to version each project individually. For this reason, the version numbers would only ever match by pure coincidence. @ballscrewbob shared the link to the WiFiNINA library's changelog, which shows the latest version of that project. Here you can see the releases of the NINA firmware:
https://github.com/arduino/nina-fw/releases
As you can see, the latest release is 1.4.1, so you are running the state of the art firmware on your NINA-W102 module.

TimEllis

Thanks Pert.  That clears things up.

The current released IDE uses v1.3 NINA which I have trouble with running an WIFI rev2.  When I updated to 1.4.1 things run fine for the limited testing I've done.

pert

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear things are working well with NINA firmware 1.4.1!

mikkie42

I've just bought a Nano 33 IOT and it's telling me to update the firmware. The "firmware checker" says 1.2.3 is installed and 1.4.1 is the latest.

Running the firmware updater it says the latest available is 1.3.0, latest maybe for the Nano33 IOT.

When I do a "test connection" it doesn't work. The firmware updater sketch has been uploaded ok. I've tried this a number of times.

I've seen some other comments about the connection not working but not seen a reason yet.

I'm just using simple UDP tx/rx, which is working ok with the installed 1.2.3, do I actually need to upgrade anyhow?

pert

Sep 25, 2020, 06:14 pm Last Edit: Sep 25, 2020, 06:15 pm by pert Reason: Use changelog URL that doesn't pin the commit
I've just bought a Nano 33 IOT
Congratulations! It's a very nice little board. Definitely one of the favorites in my collection.

When I do a "test connection" it doesn't work. The firmware updater sketch has been uploaded ok. I've tried this a number of times.
In order to help with that, we'd need to know the exact wording of the error you get when you do the "Test connection".

I'm just using simple UDP tx/rx, which is working ok with the installed 1.2.3, do I actually need to upgrade anyhow?
I would lean towards saying that, if it's working fine for you, then you don't need to worry about it. Certainly there have been some nice improvements and bug fixes made to the firmware in the 2.5 years since 1.2.3 was released, so be sure to keep it in mind in case you do have problems.

You can see the changelog here:
https://github.com/arduino/nina-fw/blob/master/CHANGELOG

Go Up