Go Down

Topic: Alternative Stepper Driver  (Read 175 times) previous topic - next topic

r0773nluck

Hi everyone

A stepper driver died in my lathe today. The driver is a OD-8A-M Microstepping driver. It was set to 6a with a 70% max current. I assume this means it's pushing max 4.2 amps to my motor.

Now I don't want to spend over $300 for a new driver and I happen to have a DMA860H driver sitting around. If I were to set this to a similar amp rating of 3.71 Ref current with a PkCurrent of 4.45 would it work?

Let me know
Thanks

Robin2

You need to post links to the datasheets for both drivers so we can compare them.

Also, equally important, post a link to the datasheet for the stepper motor.

I imagine if the driver was set to 6 amps that it was putting 6 amps through the coils. Some drivers reduce the current when the motor is stationary - I suspect that is what the 70% refers to, but we need to read the datasheet.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

r0773nluck

I can't find the Data sheet for the original. It's the stepper that flashcut uses here is a photo the second photo is the one I'd like to replace it with.
https://imgur.com/a/pMaVdSY

Robin2

Please make your images visible in your Post. See this  Simple Image Posting Guide

However photos of the hardware are no substitute for the datasheets. It is the datasheets that are essential.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up