Go Down

Topic: arduino mkr1000 wifi with a Solid State Relay? (Read 240 times) previous topic - next topic

skaught

I would like to drive a single channel solid state relay capable of handling 120vac @<1amp as directly as possible from a mkr1000.

Small size matters greatly. Switching speed does not matter at all as the switching frequency will be less than 1 hz.

The relay will trigger as many as 3000 times per day and will need to operate for many years so it must be a SSR.

This application will pull a 120vac (low current) control signal to low for 1 second intervals based on the wifi and programmatic responses.

Can the mkr1000 WIFI drive any SSRs?  Is there a better option that is the same size as the mkr1000? 

There is a 5vcc available however size is very restricted.

Thank you

Paul_KD7HB

Can the mkr1000 WIFI drive any SSRs?

Can your mkr1000 light a LED? That is all it takes for a SSR.

Paul

skaught

Sep 19, 2020, 03:33 am Last Edit: Sep 19, 2020, 03:36 am by skaught
That depends on the LED does it not?

And I do not have one yet, I will not buy my prototype Arduino until I can figure out which components are the best suited.

And which SSR?  I need one that is very small and can work with the mkr1000 (or similar).

Wawa

Even a small Omron G3MB-202P SSR needs the same or a bit more current than a 3.3volt pin can provide.
Common SSR boards solve that with a transistor between pin and SSR LED.
Leo..

skaught

I am having trouble finding any commonly.

ballscrewbob

Sep 19, 2020, 02:24 pm Last Edit: Sep 19, 2020, 02:30 pm by ballscrewbob
Random thought but would a level shifter be suitable for running an SSR ?
They can be had in very small module sizes maybe enough to glue to the side of an SSR.

Many of the Chinese modules also claim to run from 3 volts too.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

CrossRoads

How about this SSR instead, if you can live with just 825mA of switching current:

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/pvt212.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a4015356841646295d
Can the MKR1000 drive 5mA?
Datasheet for the chip would suggest that at least some of the IOs can sink up to 10mA.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

skaught

@CrossRoads This looks perfect!!  THANK YOU!

skaught

@ballscrewbob

That is also a great idea, I'll try that too!

Thanks!

Go Up