Go Down

Topic: New Dual ATMega Design (Read 12352 times) previous topic - next topic

(deleted)

bubulindo

Any chance I can get a trip to see it? :$ Yes, I'm a geek and would love to see that setup.

No, I retired four years ago and even I can't get back in. Here is a pretty nice document explaining
the design and methods they used to attain the various redundancies:

http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/autom/Reti_e_Sistemi_Automazione/PDFseminari/TRICON%20Fault%20Tolerant%20Systems.pdf

Just because the redundancy never came into place, doesn't mean it was/is a waste... give it enough time and eventually it may pop up.

Certainly, the system was the emergency plant safety shutdown system, it worked independently from the plant process control system. This plant ran 24/7/365 for up to 4 year runs before scheduled shutdowns. A 'false' safety shutdown would be very costly as the plant lost profit could exceed 1 million dollars a day, and it often took 2 days to restart up the plant depending on the cause of the trip. However failure to trip off on say a large compressor failure could result in compressor damage taking months or longer to have critical parts manufactured as compressor was built to order and there is no such thing as a 'shelf spare'. The price of the safety systems was almost inconsequential as long as it performed it's function when called upon.

Lefty

Thanks for the info.
This... is a hobby.

CrossRoads

Aug 30, 2011, 12:11 am Last Edit: Aug 30, 2011, 12:13 am by CrossRoads Reason: 1
The clock connections and the solder jumpers can be seen more clearly in this closeup.
Eagle is nice, if you have it on the schematic it shows up on the board.
Missing connections are pretty good too - the DRC will tell you if you have connections that are close but not connected, and tells you about pins with no connections.
When you do the Rats Nest, pins with no connections show up pretty well.
I also like that it warns you when there are overlaps - I check visually that signals aren't connected that I didn't want, but every once in a while I move something & create crossed connections and the DRC caught that. Usually I only have to deal with traces too close to pins or to each other.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

liuzengqiang

Hey,

Any update on this dual ATMEGA design? Some people will be interested if you get the word out. Have you checked out inmojo.com yet? It's an electronics hobbyists' ebay.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

CrossRoads

No updates yet. Latest task was getting the mini-uino's shipped out. Just finished some paid design work and starting another.
Only takes more hours in a day to get the rest done ;)
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up