Go Down

Topic: Solid State Relay latches due to low current problem (Read 706 times) previous topic - next topic

Ron_Blain

As to using a snubber, here are some off the shelf snubber combinations. Commonly buy or just roll your own. How to go about choosing snubber values can be found here.

I still believe your problem is leakage and the only way to get a good turn Off is by getting your load above the minimum. You mentioned it did work. You can remove your load and hang a220 VAC lamp out there and see if you can turn the lamp On and Off.

Ron

SouthernAtHeart

Let's see... I was assuming I put this snubber in parallel with my bubbler. Or do I put it in series with the load?

runaway_pancake

"Triac a portmanteau word consisting of transistor and AC."

Close.
It's "TRIode for AC".
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
When all else fails, check your wiring!

Grumpy_Mike

Oct 07, 2020, 10:21 am Last Edit: Oct 07, 2020, 10:56 am by Grumpy_Mike
Close.
It's "TRIode for AC".
thanks.

Let's see... I was assuming I put this snubber in parallel with my bubbler. Or do I put it in series with the load?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snubber

Ron_Blain

Oct 07, 2020, 04:55 pm Last Edit: Oct 08, 2020, 03:43 pm by Ron_Blain
You may want to give this a read. Protecting AC Output SSRs against voltage transient phenomena. They show pictures and pay close attention to the  1 - RC network - "Snubber" section and how snubbers effect leakage current.

Also, just like Grumpy Mike posted in Post #33.

Ron

herbschwarz

Erik_Baas

Oct 07, 2020, 05:26 pm Last Edit: Oct 07, 2020, 05:44 pm by Erik_Baas
A triode is a three element vacuum tube.
A triode is a three element vacuum tube or semiconductor.

SouthernAtHeart

You may want to give this a read. Protecting AC Output SSRs against voltage transient phenomena. They show pictures and pay close attention to the  1 - RC network - "Snubber" section and how snubbers effect leakage current.

Ron
Thanks!  The snubber goes in parallel with my load/bubbler.

Ron_Blain

Thanks!  The snubber goes in parallel with my load/bubbler.
The snubber goes across your SCR output terminals. Just like in the link I posted.

Ron

Grumpy_Mike

The snubber goes across your SCR output terminals. Just like in the link I posted.
And like the link I posted in reply #33!

Ron_Blain

dlloyd

Hmm ... looking the aquarium motor load (inductive), then adding a snubber load (capacitive) probably reduces the apparent power (therefore current).

Check this out (5 mA min load).

dlloyd

And smart meters measure real power and apparent and can support complex tariffs involving both
values (in theory at least - no idea if this is done).

Don't get me wrong, the old style electro-mechanical meter was a miracle of technology, its just that
it was essentially Victorian(*) technology and doesn't meet today's requirements.

(*) slight exageration, but not far from the truth.
Had to calibrate one of these to better than 0.5% (accurately measures kWh, kVAh and kVARh - no electronics). Yeah, there's been a few advancements since then. In my case, that chrome-plated planetary gear system in operation sure was sight to behold.

Grumpy_Mike

A triode is a three element vacuum tube.
A triode is a poem about a score in rugby football.
Where as a diode is a poem by a Welsh man.

Go Up