Go Down

Topic: Squeezing a lever using arduino (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic

mahmoodjanabi

So assuming we wanna mimic a hand squeezing a brake lever of a bike, what can be used to accomplish that with some DC motors/Servos?
The whole goal is to squeeze the lever, not design a robotic hand.

slipstick

Servo pulling a bit of string connected to the brake lever?

How far does the lever move? How much pressure is needed to move it? Do you really need a squeezing motion or just something to move the lever?

Steve

Idahowalker

Does the lever even need to be there when a motor/servo can be put directly on the brake?

There are Arduino projects that control hydraulics.

An actuator could work on the lever.
Receiving partial information does not help me help you and wastes my time.

mahmoodjanabi

Servo pulling a bit of string connected to the brake lever?

How far does the lever move? How much pressure is needed to move it? Do you really need a squeezing motion or just something to move the lever?

Steve
Well a string won't work, it's a hydraulic disc brake so I need some torque to be applied the whole way through. about 2 inches I believe

mahmoodjanabi

Does the lever even need to be there when a motor/servo can be put directly on the brake?

There are Arduino projects that control hydraulics.

An actuator could work on the lever.
unfortunately the lever need to be there, it will keep the pumping action while I work on the brakes.
could you clarify what kind of actuator would do the job best? I'm thinking either a geared down motor or a solenoid. what how would I connect that to the lever? I'm stuck in the area between the actuator and the lever

Idahowalker

Nov 05, 2020, 09:26 pm Last Edit: Nov 05, 2020, 09:26 pm by Idahowalker
I was thinking of something like this

custom made to handle your loading conditions and space considerations.

Receiving partial information does not help me help you and wastes my time.

Go Up