Go Down

Topic: List of Arduinos with multiple independent serial ports (Read 250 times) previous topic - next topic

newto_arduino

Hi, what are some of the Arduinos that have multiple independent serial ports? I am looking for ones that do not have the serial pin shared with the USB port.

simplesolutions

I am looking for ones that do not have the serial pin shared with the USB port.
Generally, at least one WILL be connected to the USB port. I often use the MEGA 2560 as it has 3 Serial ports.

Perhaps telling us WHY you need multiple ports MAY help us give a better answer.
Happy to help - as long as you do some work.

ballscrewbob

Not sure why this was reported at all.

Closed NFA !

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

newto_arduino

Hi, anybody has the list? I need that urgently. I am not here to explain why I am doing this and that. Thanks

CrossRoads

Mega has 4 hardware serial ports, one is connected to USB. It can do multiple Software Serail ports at slower speeds.

I offer '1284P boards, they have 2 hardware serial ports. One can be connected to USB, or you can leave the USB adapter off and have both free. It also offers multiple Software Serial ports; I am using one in a project now where I plan to use 6 Software Serial.

Atmega32U4 boards have one dedicated USB port, it's built in to the chip, and one free hardware serial port. I believe it can do multiple Software Serial ports as well; I don't know how many pins support PCINT for that.

Uno can multiple Software Serial ports as well.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

sterretje

Hi, anybody has the list? I need that urgently. I am not here to explain why I am doing this and that. Thanks
It would make life a lot easier if you explained. It's useless for us to recommend e.g. a Micro or Leonardo if you need more than one additional serial port.

And nothing on a forum is urgent; that's just how forums work. So if it is really urgent, it's faster to do your own research than to rely on a forum.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

westfw

Arduinos with "Native" USB support will usually have an additional Hardware Serial Port.
That includes the Leonardo, the Arduino Micro, and essentially all the ARM boards.

Arduino Mega has multiple Serial ports, in addition to the one connected to USB.
So does the Arduino WiFi2 and the Nano Every.

There are some ATmeag328PB boards out there that might be set up to support the 2nd serial port on that chip.  Ditto ATmega644 and ATmega1284 boards.  (but here you're getting into 3rd party boards...)

PaulRB

Hi, anybody has the list? I need that urgently. I am not here to explain why I am doing this and that.
You need to understand this is a community support forum. Everyone here is a volunteer with no obligation to do anything. Demanding urgency and keeping secrets is likely to put people off from helping you. But if you approach the forum in the right spirit, the help you will get here will be as good or better than anywhere else, as least for free.

Arduino based on samd21 chips can have multiple hardware serial ports, but only 2 out of the box in addition to USB. Any additional serial ports need to be configured. Have a look here:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/adding-more-sercom-ports-for-samd-boards/all

https://learn.adafruit.com/using-atsamd21-sercom-to-add-more-spi-i2c-serial-ports/creating-a-new-serial

It's not clear from these tutorials if a 4th UART can be configured.

It's also worth remembering that when we say "serial port" what we really mean is UART. After all, i2c, SPI, One-wire, CANbus, i2s etc are also types of serial port.

Go Up