Go Down

Topic: Anyway to find out a wireless protocol for another device? (Read 117 times) previous topic - next topic

jago2

I've just ordered a motorised mini dolly (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Motorized-Indication-Electric-Adjustable/dp/B07SJCZKTQ?pd_rd_w=zQp4o&pf_rd_p=243fcdf9-2970-4b50-8a21-b929733c8b37&pf_rd_r=67NN5TWN2BDCG7Y5QCM2&pd_rd_r=7a6c1367-b7d8-41f8-a448-9e85cb97b826&pd_rd_wg=fgSG2)

It has a remote which I understand to be 2.4ghz wireless.

Having just used some of those modules myself in a follow focus system (to connect the control to the motor) I have a basic understanding of them.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to snoop on the data being passed. I'd need to find the channel it's on and the address first of course. And then hope it's not an encrypted of course ;)

The reason I want it is because it can be used to go left and right, but it can't go back and forth without manually pressing the remote, and I'd like to automate it.

Thanks

Klaus_K

Analyzing wireless protocols is no easy task. You only know one parameter of many that you need to find to even have a chance of creating the signals yourself.

The fact that you cannot use your phone to control the products suggests they opted for a proprietary protocol to avoid paying fees to the Bluetooth or WiFi organizations.

They could still use some of the techniques like channel hoping or encryption to stop you from easily recreating the protocol. And that is not even necessarily the reason why they would choose that. Channel hoping allows better robustness from interference caused by WiFi and Bluetooth.

First, I would contact support and ask them whether they would be willing to provide you some information about the protocol used.

Next, if you are happy to open the remote and the dolly you could try to identify the products they used. Maybe they used a protocol offered to the chip customers ether as part of the development environment or some application notes.

If that does not work, you need to get some tools to capture the transmission. SDRs are the cheapest option to start. Check that they support 2.4GHz. Most of the cheaper ones stop below that frequency.

jago2

Thanks for the reply. Sadly I think contacting support will be a waste of time. Not even sure who makes it. It's sold under many brands. Mine is a Neweer but lots of others sell exactly the same product.

It came today btw, and for the price, it seems great.

I'll check tomorrow if I can open the remote and take it from there.

Thanks

jago2

Worst case, I could always open the remote and connect some NPN transistors to the buttons and stick an arduino on there with an ESP8266  ;)

Might actually be the easiest solution!

jago2

Just for interest, here's photos of the inside of the remote. I've not had chance to research it yet but given that everything I need to do can be done by the remote itself, I think the idea of taking this out of the plastic fob and putting it into a new enclosure with an arduino or similar and triggering the buttons with a transistor will be the easiest solution by far. Then I can control it with buttons, or from my phone, or from my computer.

It may be that if I had access to the wireless protocol I could do thing such as set the speed directly to 1, 2 or 3 -whereas with the buttons I can only rotate through 1 then 2 then 3 then back to 1 etc -  but I can live with that if it's an hour or so work to do it this way rather than days or weeks trying to work out a protocol ;)

Thanks again

jago2

Decided to go a quick google after all. I see the chip on the left is the microprocessor and from a quick look at the (Chinese) datasheet it doesn't seem to have any wifi, so I presume that's the chip on the right but I'm reading it as 20_CL6L16.1 and I can't find anything at all. Tried a few variations too in case I was reading it wrong but nothing. Just out of interest, anyone know what it is?

Go Up