Go Down

Topic: Motion Simulator Project - Seeking Programming Services (Read 111 times) previous topic - next topic

Jimbo999

Hello everyone, I am looking to build a motion simulator with my son. The motion simulator is constructed of PVC tubing with a seat, and can tilt left or right, or tilt forward or backward, as well as a combination of both side-to-side or forward-and-backward. The simulator will be pre-programmed to follow a specific set of movements for about a 5 minute duration and follow the movements of a video that is recorded by a drone and using a 360 video camera. The person sitting in the simulator will wear a VR headset. The simulator tilting is controlled by 2 pneumatic pistons (each piston has an 18-inch stroke). We are looking to hire someone to develop the coding that will have the Arduino(s) regulate the flow of air into each of the pistons at the appropriate time such that the simulator is in the corresponding position. I have some information about programming and the components, but mostly for a flight simulator controlled by a joystick rather than a set of pre-programmed movements. Not only do we want to have someone complete the code but also help us to understand it. Although we have done some coding of Arduino, it is mostly relative to lighting LED's. I welcome someone who understands the complexities of the coding required and the related pneumatic hardware needs to contact me with a quote of an hourly charge, or an estimate for this part of the project. Thanks, we look forward to hearing from someone!

blimpyway

unless you-re ok with two positions - fully retracted/extended stroke - it's quite difficult to control stroke length of a pneumatic actuator.

Jimbo999

unless you-re ok with two positions - fully retracted/extended stroke - it's quite difficult to control stroke length of a pneumatic actuator.
So are you saying that it means extra code? That it will cost more? Or can't be done?
The actuators need to be able to be in any position between fully retracted and fully extended. I don't have enough knowledge about how to do it, other than to suggest that I have seen this concept successfully work with servo valves and servo amplifiers.

Paul_KD7HB

So are you saying that it means extra code? That it will cost more? Or can't be done?
The actuators need to be able to be in any position between fully retracted and fully extended. I don't have enough knowledge about how to do it, other than to suggest that I have seen this concept successfully work with servo valves and servo amplifiers.
No, he is saying your design is for a system using HYDRAULIC cylinders, which use a non-compressible fluid. Using a a compressible gas to position a piston in a cylinder is not going to happen.
Paul

cedarlakeinstruments

I have seen this concept successfully work with servo valves and servo amplifiers.
This is where you should start. It's certainly possible to do this with an arduino -- I have a couple systems that do similar things with electromechanical actuators, but if you're going to pay someone to do it, it will likely end up costing you far less if you start out with servo controllers and servo valves, or you'll be paying someone to replicate what's in those controllers and tune them properly.
Not to mention that the others are correct: it's easier to do something like this when you have a "stiff" fluid path as in hydraulics. Pneumatics are a lot easier to control when the cylinders are going from fully open to fully closed.
Electronics and firmware/software design and assistance. No project too small

Go Up