willing to pay for solution- Save initial GPS data in order to compare with sub

Hello,

I am trying to write a code that saves the first good fix (if sats are 6+, hdop is < 1.5 etc) in order to compare it with subsequent location in order to measure the distance between two points.

I am willing to pay for the solution or pay for a tutorial on how to do this on my own.

All the best,

Yannis

Parse GPGGA and save data if conditions are met? Is that it? I may actually have code that does that already IIRC.

Or BESTPOS ?
https://docs.novatel.com/OEM7/Content/Logs/BESTPOS.htm

I cannot understand what BESTPOS is
I am willing to pay for the solution.
Please see my code here: gps geofence - compile error - #32 by yantypas - Programming Questions - Arduino Forum

Kind regards,

Yannis

I've never worked with GNSS, only GPS. Is BESTPOS a GNSS thing?

IMO it's a question of what your GPS/GNSS receicer supports - just like any other "standard", YMMV :slight_smile:

Dear community, is there anyone out there willing to help me with my project?

Doing what you're asking here isn't difficult. You mentioned in your other thread though that you're looking for centimeter accuracy, which you won't get with regular GPS hardware. Is it still worth doing if the accuracy is in the three to fifteen meter range?

OK. Let's nail this down.
Is your only requirement to record the first GPS lat/long position from a serial NMEA sentence stream when either the number of satellites locked is greater than or equal to 6 or the hdop is < 1.5?

If so, where do you want this data saved to?

Hello,

I am new to arduino and coding.
With the help od Idahowalker (user) from the forum I managed to write some code.
I want to create a device that measures the distance with gps.
First thing I have to do is to save a good fix and then compare it with the lat/lon from the raw readings in order to calc the distance in meters.

Please see code:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=706894.new#new

This is what you want to do:

I want to create a device that measures the distance with gps.

This is you saying how you want to do it.

First thing I have to do is to save a good fix and then compare it with the lat/lon from the raw readings in order to calc the distance in meters

If you're asking for help, it's best to stick with "this is what I want to do." As soon as you start saying how you think it should be done, that muddies the waters. e.g., I have no idea what you mean by "the raw readings."

OK,

I am sorry about that. I would like to create a distance measuring device that uses gps for measuring.

For what distances and what accuracy?

Hello,

I would like to use it for distances up to 10 meters if possible with the best possible accurancy.
I know about ntrip (I dont know if there is a better way) but since I have invested in buying the ublox neo 6m module its fine to go with the 2.5 m accurancy for now.

And you are sure that a measuring tape won't solve your problem?

yantypas:
Hello,

I would like to use it for distances up to 10 meters if possible with the best possible accurancy.
I know about ntrip (I dont know if there is a better way) but since I have invested in buying the ublox neo 6m module its fine to go with the 2.5 m accurancy for now.

Don't forget that the claimed 2.5m is as good as it gets in perfect conditions. In actual use it's not at all likely to be that good and if you're looking at measuring distances of 10m, the GPS error will make nonsense of your readings.

As I mentioned earlier, set the GPS outside with a good view of the sky and record what it says. The variance you see there is what you'll have to contend with when measuring distances and it may be as much as 15m out.

Thank you for your reply.
Are there any better solutions than ntrip for corrections?
Does ntrip have a limit of 10km?

I wasn't aware of ntrip until you mentioned it. From what I can see those differential systems do the same thing: a base station knows where it is and does some signal analysis to figure out what positional error is currently in play and provides that information to mobile GPS units so they can apply a correction.

In the case of ntrip, presumably you can grab it from the internet wherever you are, but I would expect that the further you are from a base station, the worse the accuracy would be.

thank you
wildbill!