Go Down

Topic: Advice on where to start/which kits (Read 607 times) previous topic - next topic

thismyusername

I am very excited to start playing with Arduino but I am overwhelmed with all the product choices. 
It would be great to have something like one or multiple of the educational kits but for one or a few people (just to have the extra parts).
Ideailly I would get something like a structured and comprehensive self study course that I could work through. The structure really helps me learn better and see my progress. 
I want a large breadth of hardware pieces and would rather not have to buy so many things bit by bit. My problem is I am interested in everything. Cost is not a big issue because I see this as an investment in my career future. 
What would you recommend?

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

thismyusername

Welcome to the Forum.

This recent Thread may help.

...R
Thank you. Looks like a great breakdown by category of a lot of the instructional material available out there. 
Do you have any recommendations about the physical kits and hardware components?

Robin2

Do you have any recommendations about the physical kits and hardware components?
Start with an Uno because most programs and most add-ons are intended for Unos.

I have no experience of Arduino kits. I had been dabbling with electronics and microprocessors long before I got my first Arduino so I already had several boxes of junk useful parts.

My suggestion would be to get a small kit to start with because your knowledge of what is relevant for you will change rapidly as you gain experience. While you are learning to create programs that act logically you can use LEDs to simulate things that need to be turned on or off.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Geek Emeritus

kits are for classrooms. kits are stocked with simple versions of one sensor, simple displays. kits have sensors and displays a schoolchild can program. I am looking at a kit on eBay. 22 modules. I would use 3 of them. you would outgrow a kit. if you are going to teach, you need kits.

if not - do an ebay search for arduino sensors and arduino modules.

Get, not necessarily all at once:
an UNO

if you are going to be an experimenter, get this:
breadboard and power supply kit

and all three varieties; jumper wires in multiple lengths male to male, male to female, female to male jumper wires.

a MEGA, when you need pins and serial ports

sooner or later you will want all of these:
a GPS module with an SMA connector and an external antenna
an SD card module
an RTC module
an I2C LCD module, or many.
a sound module. My choice is the YX5300
All PMs will be deleted unopened due to arrogant argumentative pot stirring Malfoys.
 If you have not read "How to use this forum - please read", in particular: "7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags":  expect rude responses

Go Up