Go Down

Topic: LED Strip Light (Read 304 times) previous topic - next topic

illtryprogramming

Oct 27, 2020, 05:11 pm Last Edit: Oct 28, 2020, 03:41 pm by illtryprogramming
I don't know if this is the right section for me.

I need help picking dc chargers and arduino for my ws2813.

It is 5meters long.

I don't know what ampere dc charger needs to be for a 5m long ws2813, and I am planning to make it longer over time. Please give me a dc charger that can carry 5-10m at max. I currently have 15meters normal 5050 led strip, It uses 12v 5A dc charger. Back to the ws2813, what arduino works with 2813? I am choosing between FastLED and WLED, But currently I can't even pick any arduino? Any reply is much appreciated! Thank You!!

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

A "charger" implies (for me) a constant-current source - what does the spec for the LED strip say?
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

Grumpy_Mike

How many LEDs?
Recon on 60mA per LED.
Then multiply by 1.2 to get the mini current capability of the power supply you need.

illtryprogramming

Oct 28, 2020, 01:00 am Last Edit: Oct 28, 2020, 01:04 am by illtryprogramming
A "charger" implies (for me) a constant-current source - what does the spec for the LED strip say?
What I mean is... Power Adapter

https://ibb.co/5sj14mq

PaulRB

Please give your topic a meaningful, descriptive title. Please attach images to your post, don't attach links to image hosting sites, they are not needed here. Both these things are explained in the forum guide in the sticky post at the top of each forum section, please read that before you post again. But at least you did post your link correctly, so it could be clicked.

The current your psu will need to provide depends not on the length of the strip, but the number of leds on it. Strips can have 30, 60, even 144 leds per metre. Allow 45~55mA per led if you want to be able to set every led to full brightness white at the same time. For other colours, flashing patterns and lower brightness, less current is needed.

The choice of Arduino also depends on the number of leds. A basic arduino like Nano can control 500~600 leds.

The psu in your picture has a 12V output, so not suitable for ws2813 strips, which need 5V.

illtryprogramming

Please give your topic a meaningful, descriptive title. Please attach images to your post, don't attach links to image hosting sites, they are not needed here. Both these things are explained in the forum guide in the sticky post at the top of each forum section, please read that before you post again. But at least you did post your link correctly, so it could be clicked.

The current your psu will need to provide depends not on the length of the strip, but the number of leds on it. Strips can have 30, 60, even 144 leds per metre. Allow 45~55mA per led if you want to be able to set every led to full brightness white at the same time. For other colours, flashing patterns and lower brightness, less current is needed.

The choice of Arduino also depends on the number of leds. A basic arduino like Nano can control 500~600 leds.

The psu in your picture has a 12V output, so not suitable for ws2813 strips, which need 5V.
I'm sorry, I'll tell and ask everything in one go because reply have limits.

I am worried because I read that ws2812b die often, and I'm new to this arduino, and wled/fastled programming thing.I literally have no idea what to do, but I really want chasing effect :( If I buy a premade controller (for example sp601e) I won't have to worry about ws2812b dying right? because all I need is just a proper power supply? I thought that ws2812b might die during testing and connecting of arduino to strip due to mistake or over (voltage,current, etc.)

Another question, is sk6812 good alternative to ws2812b? I read that they are clone?

another again is, how do led burn ? what should i avoid doing?

if ill be choosing ws2812b/ws2813 and sk6812, they'll be all 30leds/meter and total of 5 meters for your info :D

I am fine with ws2812b but Im just worrying that I might buy again cuz of led burn and having a mistake as I am very very new to this.

Grumpy_Mike

if I buy a premade controller (for example sp601e) I won't have to worry about ws2812b dying right?
There is no difference in the lifetime of any strip between using an Arduino or pre built controller.
So no you are not right.

because all I need is just a proper power supply? I thought that ws2812b might die during testing and connecting of arduino to strip due to mistake or over (voltage,current, etc.)
If you have a proper power supply then it will not over volt the strip and if there is no over volttage there can be no possible over current either.

another again is, how do led burn ? what should i avoid doing?
This goes for any interfacing, never wire things up with the power applied. So you want to make a change in the wiring then remove the power before you do it. Powering up connect LED strips power first then apply the Arduino power. Powering down, remove power from the Arduino and then the strip.
BUT
It is best to power the Arduino through the 5V pin from the LED power supply then all the power goes on and off at the same time.

is sk6812 good alternative to ws2812b?
It is an alternative, nothing to pick between them.

illtryprogramming

Oct 28, 2020, 05:44 pm Last Edit: Oct 28, 2020, 05:45 pm by illtryprogramming
okay my decision is solid, ws2812b with arduino, 5v 10a power supply. I am confused because in the wiring guide. 5V and GND (arduino) is connected to 5V and GND (strip) at the same time to barrel connector in power supply. I haven't seen the ws2812b in real life, only on videos, some show 5 wires in total some are only 3, let's say it is only 3 wires in strip(cuz thats what i see in the product image online shop where im gonna be ordering) the Din to arduino (7) with resistor 330 ohms, as I said 5V, GND to 5V, GND. I assume I will use m to m jumper wire which has only 1 wire of course. How am I gonna connect it to power supply too? I am watching videos on how to do it, but they do show the picture diagram only not the exact video on how they connect it, I am new to this so please bear with me. Thank you very much!!

illtryprogramming

oh, now I think I get it, in a barrel connector you can insert 2 jumper wire in one port. so one jumper for 5v on to the strip and on to the arduino, one jumper for the gnd on to the strip and on to the arduino, so what youve said will happen that it will turn off at the same time. Am I correct?

Grumpy_Mike

No you are not correct.
The barrel jack on the Arduino has nothing to do with anything leave it alone. It is designed for feeding voltage into the on board regulator.
Don't push wires into anything. You need proper soldered connections.
If you can't solder you can't do this project.

Paul__B

If using the Arduino UNO for any serious project (and for most, the Nano is more practical), forget the "barrel jack" or "Vin" as the on-board regulator has almost no heatsink and cannot provide power for much more than the processor itself.

When you have regulated 5 V, you feed it to the "5V" pin and ground however on a UNO, you need to disconnect the "5V" pin whenever you plug the USB jack into a PC for programming (to protect the PC's USB port).

When you have a LED strip with five wires, it has two pairs of the 5 V (red) and ground (usually white) power wires.  Your 5 V power supply should go directly to the strip, not to the Arduino., so using a pair of red and white wires.  You then connect the other three wires - 5 V, data (green) and ground to the Arduino.  As close to the LED strip as possible, you want the 330 Ohm resistor in series with the data wire and a 470 µF or 1 mF (1000 µF) capacitor in parallel with 5 V and ground.

Using jumper wires is going to be a problem, particularly given the risk of accidentally dislodging them in operation.  You really need to be robustly soldering connections.  Alternatively, a Nano with a "terminal shield" would be very practical.

Go Up