Go Down

Topic: Alternative to Nextion (Read 11406 times) previous topic - next topic

Rustyone

Curious if anyone knows of a good alternative to the Nextion LCDs? It has a great deal of advantages, low use of MP resources and only 4 wires to a remote display but also some problems.
I have had a fit finding information as to their use with Arduino IDE. Youtube has been my best source, mfg materials are poorly developed. While I have discovered and learned a few great commands from C while trying to decipher their examples, that was not my plan.
Just as I was starting to get to a usable point with my display, it has died.
TIA 

regor2

I have bought around 5 of these displays myself... one of them died. I have been looking for something that is more reliable but still with a low cost. Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing. You could start by searching for "human machine interface". A big supplier of these seems to be Maple Systems. They are pricey and seem to be more on the PLC side of things but you could check them out.

I am too very disatisfied with the very poor documentation on ITEAD Studios part.

Good luck, Roger
Arduinos: 9 Megas, 5 Unos, 2 Nanos, 10 ethernet

avr_fred

There are now Chinese clones of the Nextion displays out there on Aliexpress. I doubt the quality would be any worse than the Itead parts. Cheaper too so if you loose one, no huge loss.

If you want a more industrial display, not the hobby based Itead or Chinese cell phone re-treads, there are several companies out there. The one I'm most familiar with is 4D Systems out of Australia. They have distributors throuout the world, Digikey and Mouser are the two big ones here in the US. 

TFTLCDCyg

Aug 06, 2016, 04:09 am Last Edit: Aug 06, 2016, 04:12 am by TFTLCDCyg
FT80X or FT81X, could be the choise:

FT810, 5", 800x480

FT800, 4.3", 480x272

FT811, 5", 800x480

Boards: Due, MEGA, UNO, teensy32
ft81xmania.com/comunidad/

Berty1966

It really seems to me that Nextion have the idea but not the communication skills. Although it seems to be a very useful tool, so many videographers have given it poor reviews citing poor, and ironic in the extreme, flow of logic on the website. Experienced makers having great difficulty figuring out how to do this, that and the other. As people have said here that their Nextions have died, I suspect it is a voltage problem (low or high). There is a highlighted warning about this online and this is about the only clear communication I have seen.
Despite all of this I was about to take the plunge and buy one until I discovered I would not be able to set one up because of a deficiency in the web set up. As hard as I tried I could not resize, move up or access the bottom of a popped up page in order to click on "OK" whilst setting up a new file!
Before you buy, it may be worth downloading the software from the website and see how you get on.
I am now looking for an alternative too. :o

Miniflyer

Nextion is very very user-unfriendly. I am trying to add GPU chips to smaller displays,to be able to adress them all with identical programs and just adapt resolution.
Nextion was not interested, it was "buy what we have, no help from us".
I am now working with 4d to get on the way, they have 3 different GPUs all supported by the same IDE.

gadthrawn

It really seems to me that Nextion have the idea but not the communication skills. Although it seems to be a very useful tool, so many videographers have given it poor reviews citing poor, and ironic in the extreme, flow of logic on the website. Experienced makers having great difficulty figuring out how to do this, that and the other. As people have said here that their Nextions have died, I suspect it is a voltage problem (low or high). There is a highlighted warning about this online and this is about the only clear communication I have seen.
Despite all of this I was about to take the plunge and buy one until I discovered I would not be able to set one up because of a deficiency in the web set up. As hard as I tried I could not resize, move up or access the bottom of a popped up page in order to click on "OK" whilst setting up a new file!
Before you buy, it may be worth downloading the software from the website and see how you get on.
I am now looking for an alternative too. :o
Sorry for the very late reply.

I gave Nextion a try and ordered 3 devices.

Saying "not the communication skill" is funny. You won't see a lot of things if you do not log in to their forum. If you log in do not dare to ask or criticize anything. You first should post a few programms before you can get to the elevated regions. Or pay for support.

An example is the terible flickering gauge if you try to put the nedle over an image. Only answer is that it can be done better, but -> pay for support (oh you can do it in an oldschool way of having a hell lot of images and replace them by index... its a bit like the things 4d systems do with their hmi displays automatically...)

You have alot of things where the IDE is a bit weird or things are not officially documentated. It is mostly told that it is a lack of skill by user.

From the three devices two worked from start - the last one was broken on arrival. Also no support for the broken one (display) - shipping is not their problem from their point of view.

In the end the other two where easy to use as long as you just display fixed things.

I also tried the 4D displays, a bit more complicated to set up, but better support and a FT8xx driven display - most complicated, but in the end most flexibility to use.

From the durability... the nextion was quite fragile, the ft8xx based from hotmcu the "toughest".

duke-lee

My company uses this supplier, Topway Smart LCD Module. Product idea is pretty much similar as Nextion's. Difference is they have 20+ years history.

vvmarcio

We work with Proculus displays, and we are a distributor of this display here in Brazil (Victor Vision). The display is great, very professional. Used in medical equipments. 
They are not very known in the internet, but they are selling in Alibaba. 

Go Up