Go Down

Topic: New forum instructions, feedback and comments (Read 4741 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Nov 05, 2020, 02:55 pm Last Edit: Nov 05, 2020, 02:58 pm by ballscrewbob
I've just tested the redirect for a newbie and it worked.

Bob, please delete the account and the post.

Thanks.
I better not delete THAT account  :smiley-eek-blue:

Link me to the post or account that needs to be killed.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

PerryBebbington

This post:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=712449.0
And associated account.

Thanks!

I better not delete THAT account 
Just remember that revenge is a dish best served cold....
 :)

larryd

Thanks Perry for your work on this.

Mind you if I get banned again by the security software, you will not read this thank you  :smiley-confuse:

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

PerryBebbington

Thanks Perry for your work on this.
You're welcome :-)

BTW,
After I made the test post and logged back in to this account as soon as I tried to make a post on THIS account I got redirected to the newbie instructions. Maybe look out for this happening to others. Could just be a cookie thing from logging in on a different account.

dougp

Site admin didn't have much to do with the one shot and it was only pushed out properly this morning in here for final testing.
Oh, I thought they were responsible for such.
I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

ballscrewbob

Oh, I thought they were responsible for such.
Normally they are !

In the cases of those and ones linked to then we the users got to have a lot of say via a mediator

Arduino were kind enough to give us direct access to a developer when he had down time.
A list of suitable projects was made and a small test team was chosen.
The results are for all to see.

It also takes some of the stress off a couple of people higher up in Arduino I think by doing it this way.
In these cases it has also paved the way for some aspects in the future of the forum itself.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Grumpy_Mike

Thanks Perry, I like the auto redirection part.

The only thing is that my predictive test on my iPad has now learned the phrase
Please read the how to use this forum sticky post

So I will have to train it to a new one and add reread

Robin2

Nov 08, 2020, 11:19 am Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 11:20 am by Robin2
In an idle moment I got to wondering about the words "short version" in
How to get the best out of this forum (short version)

Maybe it's a threat - read this short version or else we'll make you read the looonnnggg version :)

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

sterretje

After I made the test post and logged back in to this account as soon as I tried to make a post on THIS account I got redirected to the newbie instructions. Maybe look out for this happening to others. Could just be a cookie thing from logging in on a different account.
I have only one account ;) Got redirected yesterday to the new forum instructions when I tried to post a reply after a login.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

PerryBebbington

Nov 08, 2020, 12:11 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 12:11 pm by PerryBebbington
I have only one account ;) Got redirected yesterday to the new forum instructions when I tried to post a reply after a login.
It seems that some people (everyone?) is getting one re-direct regardless of whether it is their first post or their 10000th post. I believe this has been passed 'upstairs'. Of course, if it really is only one post that triggers it the problem will go away.

I set up a test account to test this feature, then had Ballscrewbob remove it.

sterretje

I don't know how the redirect is implemented; I would expect it to be at the end of a registration ;)

BUT OK, not my call.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

PerryBebbington

Nov 08, 2020, 12:48 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 12:56 pm by PerryBebbington
I don't know how the redirect is implemented; I would expect it to be at the end of a registration ;)
It's when you make your first post. Or rather, it's SUPPOSED to be when you make your first post. I suspect, from people who've been here ages being re-directed, it is actually when you make a post and you have not had the re-direct before.

I don't know about anyone else but I was on this site reading stuff long before I posted anything. Reading he instruction when I registered would have meant I forget them by the time I needed them.

PerryBebbington

In an idle moment I got to wondering about the words "short version" in
How to get the best out of this forum (short version)

Maybe it's a threat - read this short version or else we'll make you read the looonnnggg version :)

...R
Perhaps you could suggest a way to implement that...  :)

sterretje

I don't know about anyone else but I was on this site reading stuff long before I posted anything. Reading he instruction when I registered would have meant I forget them by the time I needed them.
Fair point; I would probably also have forgotten :(

On the other hand, knowing how easy it is to loose a prepared post on this forum does not make that I have much confidence in the redirect :)

Not your fault, so no blame. But as a newbie having typed a comprehensive post, I would be fuming if it disappeared due to that redirect.

PerryBebbington

Nov 08, 2020, 01:47 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 01:49 pm by PerryBebbington
Not your fault, so no blame. But as a newbie having typed a comprehensive post, I would be fuming if it disappeared due to that redirect.
You get redirected BEFORE you get chance to type your post, as in when you click NEW TOPIC.

Go Up