Go Down

Topic: New forum instructions, feedback and comments (Read 4742 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Nov 08, 2020, 01:49 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 01:52 pm by ballscrewbob
The official "One-Shot" re-direct comes into effect BEFORE a post is actually created, Perry as one of the testers is absolutely correct.

It was designed that way to avoid the lost post scenario.

Testing has shown that it works as intended.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

You get redirected BEFORE you get chance to type your post, as in when you click NEW TOPIC.
I suspect (from all that has been said) that it is not the first Post that causes the re-direct but rather the NEW TOPIC - and maybe that's OK.

I have made several Posts without being re-directed but I have not tried to create a New Topic for some time.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

sterretje

Nov 08, 2020, 02:33 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 02:34 pm by sterretje
You get redirected BEFORE you get chance to type your post, as in when you click NEW TOPIC.
I don't remember that happening; I'm reasonably sure that it happened when I submitted from quick reply.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

PerryBebbington

I don't remember that happening; I'm reasonably sure that it happened when I submitted from quick reply.
Well, I think you well know that what the forum software is supposed to do and what the forum software actually does do not always coincide.

sterretje

If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

ballscrewbob

Nov 08, 2020, 02:59 pm Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 03:01 pm by ballscrewbob
The "One-Shot" was also supposed to target ONLY new users but I have to admit it may on very rare occasions also accidentally target people who keep a clean computer with cache / cookie clean ups etc. or multiple browsers in play.  
Standard forum oopsies if you will  ;D

Those users should be in the smallest minority (myself included as a tester for Arduino).
Although I have not yet been affected by it with my regular account.

The "other" re-direct to the forum selection page is excluded from this, as that is a separate and very annoying issue that is ongoing and bears no linkage to the "One-Shot"

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

dougp

I do believe the first post redirect to PerryBebbington's short version forum guidelines are having a salutary effect.  I notice a decent problem statement, list of components, code in tags, etc. are much more common of late.

Kudos to all involved!
I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

ballscrewbob

I do believe the first post redirect to PerryBebbington's short version forum guidelines are having a salutary effect.  I notice a decent problem statement, list of components, code in tags, etc. are much more common of late.

Kudos to all involved!
It was a joint effort all the way around with ideas lifted from the very forum itself some of them going waaaay back.
That you seem to notice a differences give us all a hope going forward.

PerryBebbington

Nov 10, 2020, 07:10 pm Last Edit: Nov 10, 2020, 07:25 pm by ballscrewbob
Thanks to:
  • Luca from Arduino for giving us direct access to a developer.
  • Oleksandr the developer in Arduino that actually did the re-direct.
  • Nick Gammon for his original instructions, much of which I re-cycled.
  • Ballscrewbob for his support, suggestions and getting the re-direct implemented.
  • Robin2 who read my final draft and made loads of suggestions for improvements that made it tidier and more readable.
  • Idahowalker who read it earlier on and made a lot of helpful suggestions

I hope I have not missed anyone  :o

johndg

I may be an old and stupid newbie, but I've been working with computers for the last 40-odd years, so I know my way around a keyboard.
I can't see anywhere that allows me to start a new topic. Please help.

johndg

I may be an old and stupid newbie, but I've been working with computers for the last 40-odd years, so I know my way around a keyboard.
I can't see anywhere that allows me to start a new topic. Please help.
Forget the above - I've found a New Topic button. Swear it wasn't there before.

TheUNOGuy

It's better if you check the internet  ( your friend ) before posting..! ;)
How to get the best out of the forum - https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=712197.msg4790182#new

Escrich

Hi Robin, something must be wrong, it's not the first time i write here, and the Forum motor has sent me to here.

Regards:

JME
As someone wrote before, some hours reading and trying to understand the problem, are able to solve any software problem, or at least the most of them.

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Go Up