New forum instructions, feedback and comments

Sorry bsb, I did not realise that you replied; I rephrased the text a little but at least you got the idea of the original; and you were clever enough to quote it so the original luces forever :wink:

as we have lost internal Arduino support

That sounds ominous when we seemed to be doing better recently

Does it presage a possible change of forum platform ?

UKHeliBob:
That sounds ominous when we seemed to be doing better recently

Does it presage a possible change of forum platform ?

It simply means we seem to be stagnant at the moment.

No real details have been forthcoming about a "supposed" move apart from the fact that it is in the pipeline and will if it ever happens, involve DISCOURSE and that the development "may" be sourced by a third party.

That is about all I have for information unless anyone else has anything to add ?

ballscrewbob:
and that the development "may" be sourced by a third party.

If the third party is competent that might be a good move.

Though why would "development" be needed? - beyond converting the existing database to the new system and maybe tweaking the colours.

...R

Robin2:
Though why would "development" be needed? - beyond converting the existing database to the new system and maybe tweaking the colours.

...R

Because it comes with its own issues and is not an "off the shelf ready to go package".
It needs to be tailored to suite the existing infrastructure and all that entails.

If you really need to see what and how it will or could work simply sign up to the DISCOURSE weekly email.
That will give you a darned good insight into some of the issues they face. Have been signed up since it was first discussed here.

will if it ever happens, involve DISCOURSE

Is that different to Discord ?

UKHeliBob:
Is that different to Discord ?

Different.

Don't you remember all the discussion here ?

...R

To be fair, I find the distinction between Discord and Discourse confusing.

PerryBebbington:
To be fair, I find the distinction between Discord and Discourse confusing.

There may not be much difference in the names. But Discourse is a software product for creating a Forum - another that comes to mind is phpBB. This Forum is currently built on SMF. This website is one of many that compares Forum software

Discord is a website where you can make comments.

...R

The two terms are self explanatory.

One is for a more polite conversation and the other is a cacophony of noise. :grinning:

I have noticed that there have been a lot of bumps in the digital goods section that are done more often then every 24 hours. The solution to these is to report them to get them deleted (this part is easy).

I have also noticed that several threads seem to get random people asking random questions in threads and then never coming back to the thread, nor appear to have any actual interest in what is being sold. From what I can tell these posts are made at approximate times where the thread would appear towards the bottom of the first page or somewhere after the 1st page; not only that but the original poster will not respond until the thread will have fallen to a similar place (I have not had a chance to do a study on this, I was planning on doing so, however it seems that bump spam has gotten worse in recent times)

@centralcoast1

Certainly if you think an account is nefarious in any way use the "Report to Moderator" button.
We take all reports from users and investigate.

Frivolous reports may get ignored but each is looked at to determine its validity.

Including links for the offending post and any related content is especially helpful.

Bob.

Hi! What is going on here? I do believe I've used this account in past, now it seems I can't reply here:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=579136.0
if I quote a message it displays the page for doing my first post
I can't find any my previous message posted

@GiovanniG11

But you just replied.

If you had not used the account for a very long time you may (occasionally) be subject to the "First post" topic but should be OK after that.

thanks, I suppose that is the case

Long-time lurker in this forum and I just wanted to say those are some really nice written instructions.

eppfel:
Long-time lurker in this forum and I just wanted to say those are some really nice written instructions.

Thank you :slight_smile:

With the upcoming change in forum software this topic is now locked.

Now that the forum software has been changed to Discourse this topic has been closed and replaced with a new topic for feedback.

Please provide comments, feedback or suggestions for improvements for the new instructions here.

Thank you.