[answered, thanks] Recommendations on logic analyzer?

I have an entry level but pretty decent 2-channel o'scope.

I think I might treat myself to a logic analyzer soon. (I should probably have bought that first, but too late now.) Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent brand/model for the hobbyist? (Recommendations could also include "don't touch with a bargepole".)

Saleae. Many versions and are all good. Download their free software and away you go. Available for windoze,Linux and Mac.

Thanks- my local brick and mortar supplier shows one of their models.

What is your budget and desired max speed?

No idea as to either tbh... When I see a price I'll say "wow that's expensive" or "yeah that's reaonable".

As to speed, just qualitatively it needs to be "hobby speed" :wink: perhaps to look at what i2c is doing on an rtc, kind of thing.

For extremely low side I can recommend something like this - Amazon.com (There are many other identical analyzer available :
Amazon.com
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001665545278.html
etc

They work with Saelee software but also compatible with free SW like PulseView.

Small and handy, 24Mhz sampling rate if using 1 Channel, 12MHz for 2 channels etc.

If you need something faster - Usb Logic Analyzer 16 Channels | Logic16 Usb Logic Analyzer | Usb Logic Analyzer 16 Ch - Home Theater Amplifiers - Aliexpress
16 channels total, 100Msps if 1 channel used. Compatible with the same SW as a previous one.

Quite a few years back I took the plunge and bought a LogicPort usb LA from pctestinstruments.com and that has served me well. It's probably OTT for what I need now but it works.

Hi,
I can recommend the simple logic analysers.
Great for hobby analysis and great for learning SPI, I2C and RS232 etc .

Tom... :slight_smile:

Or one of these:

The supported software level is mentioned in a rather confusing way. 1.2.10 appears to work well.

You get only 4 "grabber" clips. I've added some more to my shopping list.

It is very useful and quite intuitive to use. 2 things to bear in mind:

1. you don't get a real time preview of the traces. You set a timer and start to capture, then you hunt for the desired section of the trace. Not what you are used to on an oscilloscope.
  2. The display of timings on a wave form is generally good, but is not very flexible. If you need something like the timings of the start and end of a burst of data, then it becomes difficult. That is a minor issue, though.

For digital hobby electronics, this is more useful than an oscilloscope.

Thanks for that input, peeps.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
I can recommend the simple logic analysers.
Great for hobby analysis and great for learning SPI, I2C and RS232 etc .

Tom... :slight_smile:

This looks very similar to the ones I mentioned. Very nice and cheap.

windoze_killa:
This looks very similar to the ones I mentioned. Very nice and cheap.

Looks like the same artwork as on a Saleae except for having some Chinese not the phrase "Saleae logic"

Exactly....

And a little tip, when using an LA and you can't seem to figure out the problem its definitely
doing a quick check with a 'scope that the signals are behaving properly as digital logic signals

• a LA won't know if this is happening, and if so could read the signals differently from the
    hardware you are debugging, leading to real confusion!

This sort of thing commonly happens when two outputs are shorted together, for instance.