Go Down

Topic: Button activated square wave very strange behavior (Read 182 times) previous topic - next topic

wgb_ks

HARDWARE: Arduino MEGA1280 made by www.arduino.cc and MEGA2560 r3 made by inland.

SCHEMATIC: Arduino Button Example found here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BuiltInExamples/Button  Please note I attached an O Scope probe (Tektronix 2205 - yes its old but I got it for free from work) to Pin 13 and ground.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR: When the button is pushed a square wave should get generated with a period of 2x "toggler_time"  for "square_wave_counter" times. (Please see source code). 

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR: On both Arduino boards (listed above), if I pressing the button right after uploading the code to the board the square wave forms instantly, if I press the button in short succession, everything is OK.  However, if I upload the code and wait 10 seconds or longer or wait between pushing the button the O scope does not show a square wave rather it shows two lines.  After pressing the button for a length of time (the longer the interval between pushing the button the long the length of time needed to push the button)  the square wave finally starts.  I attached screen shots from the O scope of the screen when no button is pressed, of the square wave and the problem state described here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SOURCE CODE:
Code: [Select]
// constants won't change. They're used here to set pin numbers:
const int buttonPin = 2;     // the number of the pushbutton pin
const int ledPin =  13;      // the number of the LED pin
const long toggle_time = 1100;  // toggle pin every X number of us (MICROSECONDS, square wave is 2x
int square_wave_counter = 1840; //square wave counter, has to start high to wait for pushbutton to zero it.
const int cycle_counter = 1840; //number of  half cycles to run per each button push.

// variables will change:
int buttonState = 0;         // variable for reading the pushbutton status

void setup() {
  // initialize the LED pin as an output:
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  // initialize the pushbutton pin as an input:
  pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT);
}

void loop() {
  static long last_toggle; //microseconds counter
  static int pin_state = LOW;
  // read the state of the pushbutton value:
  buttonState = digitalRead(buttonPin);

// check if the pushbutton is pressed. If it is, the buttonState is HIGH:
  if (buttonState == HIGH) {
    square_wave_counter = 0;
  }
  //create square wave is counter is below cycle_counter
  if (((long) micros() - last_toggle >= toggle_time) && (square_wave_counter < cycle_counter)) {
    pin_state = !pin_state;       // invert pin state
    digitalWrite(13, pin_state);
    last_toggle += toggle_time;
    square_wave_counter++;
  } // if

if (square_wave_counter >= cycle_counter) {
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
  }
}

6v6gt

Have you an external pull down resistor on pin 2 ? It could otherwise float and cause maybe the strange effects you have reported.
It is best to use unsigned long for variables which hold micros() values.

wgb_ks

I have a 10K resister between ground and pin 2 (button).  Is that what you are thinking?

6v6gt

I have a 10K resister between ground and pin 2 (button).  Is that what you are thinking?
Yes that is it. I see the link to the schematic now works.

Try changing this:

last_toggle += toggle_time ;

to:

last_toggle = (long) micros() ;

and see if there is an improvement. This is because time is not the only criterion conditioning the preceding 'if' statement.

wgb_ks

BINGO!!! That was it.  The code works like it should now.  THANK YOU!!!

Go Up