Go Down

Topic: using arduino for long time in a factory & industrial environment (Read 189 times) previous topic - next topic

rozaboy

hey guy,

i  was wondering if using arduino is good for these kind of projects:
1- Projects that will be used 24 hours and 7 days for more than a year
2- Projects that will be used in an industrial environment for industrial purposes

using arduino in some area of a factory like when we need to read temperature data or tank level seems very low budget, convenient & also effective, but i am not sure if we can put such valuable jobs on shoulder of a Nano or Wemos D1.

if you guys have any real life example with long term usage, please do share

PerryBebbington

Arduino is a hobby and learning product, not a solution to industrial electronics requirements. If you have an industrial requirement Arduino might be OK as a learning and development tool but is certainly not suited to long term industrial use, particularly not for anything critical.

Typically industrial applications use PLCs and related products.

hammy

There are available " ruggedised" industrial versions of Arduino compatible products which would be more suitable and feature better connectors , power supplies and protected I/O .

Google is your friend

DVDdoug

1- Projects that will be used 24 hours and 7 days for more than a year
That should be no problem.   The Arduino is no less reliable than any other modern solid state electronics.   (Make sure to buy a real Arduino, not a cheap clone from some unknown supplier on eBay.)

2- Projects that will be used in an industrial environment for industrial purposes
It depends on what you're talking about.     The Ruggedino ( https://www.rugged-circuits.com/microcontroller-boards/has electrical protection (from shorts & over-voltage) and they have one with an extended temperature range.

Otherwise, you probably want to mount it in a strong metal enclosure with good reliable connectors and heavy-duty switches, etc.   If it's going to be around liquids you probably need a water-tight enclosure.

I'd say the most important thing is to make it serviceable.     Even though most electronics basically "lasts forever"  (if not abused) failures do happen "randomly".    The theory is, it's just as likely to fail in the 1st month as the 100th month.    I once found the estimated MTBF for the ATmega chip, but I can't find it now.    I was like 100 years (with reasonable temperature & humidity) so of course it was just an estimate.     That was just for the chip, and the more components you add, the higher the odds of a failure.   I'd guess the polarized capacitors would have the lowest MTBF.

So, I recommend having spare parts on-hand, including one or two pre-programmed Arduinos.    Maybe have a complete-working spare unit on-hand, depending on how critical it is.    Make sure everything plugs-in as much as possible so repairs can be made quickly without soldering.

And document it as much as possible...  If this thing fails in 5 years, you may not be there.

gilshultz

A few thoughts: I would not do it; reliably to the best of my knowledge is not there. The components may have the temperature rating required but I do not think the Arduino was characterised for this operating temperature range. My next worry would be the connector pins, how reliable will they be, consider vibration. Take a hard look at your power supply and be sure it can survive and output the proper and clean power required under all conditions including fault. Do not extend any of the I/O pins into the industrial environment, you want to condition them both inputs and outputs. These are a few things to keep your eye on.  You may be on a low budget but what is the cost if it fails. The smartest thing you can do is get an industrialized controller board, there are many even some Arduinos. Select the correct NEMA rated enclosure for your environment/application. Study the previous answers they are correct.
This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

Go Up