IR Battle Tanks

Hi, Paulware!

Nice work!!! I loved your tanks!!! XD

I have only one Huan Qi Tank, model 516-10 and green color and 40MHz, I could not find the yellow one yet and I'm working on a arduino bot to fight with green.

I made arduino tank using chassis from another tank, it is controlled by bluetooth and I added an IR emitter and receiver. I found on your library the code for barrel shot (huanQiPulses[] = {12500, 600, 2150, 600, 700, 1950, 600, 8500}:wink: and now my arduino tank can fire against green tank with barrel XD. Thank you for it.

Now I want one little favor from you ^^

Can you scan machine gun pulses? Please?

Oh.. and sorry for my bad english, i'm brazilian and my portuguese is bad, imagine other languages lol

I am alert here to see your upcoming projects!!! :wink:

Happy development!

Machine gun is very similar. I'm glad you liked it. I'll have to check my library, or do quick check. I have a library for hacking an ir pulse. That may be useful as well. Can you point me to how you did the Bluetooth control. I have a Bluetooth shield but I'm not sure if you need a master or a slave.
Thanks
Paul

Hi, Paulware!!

I have used GitHub - Arduino-IRremote/Arduino-IRremote: Infrared remote library for Arduino: send and receive infrared signals with multiple protocols and using dump sample I got pulses codes from my green tank (arduino can receive shots now).

My problema was know the pulses that green tank recognizes as barrel and machine-gun (from the yellow tank, that I not have). Thanks to you I have the barrel and I will be very happy if you can hack (dump) machine-gun pulses from your 27MHz yellow tank.

I'm not using an arduino bluetooth shield, I'm using a module, this one Recommendations For You - DealeXtreme.

I use this module to PC connection as a simple serial connection, to control the tank using keyboard or my ps3 controller connected to PC. I'm on work now, but I use codes similar to this: http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-Control-arduino-by-bluetooth-from-PC-pock/?ALLSTEPS

I'm following the most easy way :wink:

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't replied for awhile. I can't find my old version of code that had the machine gun pulse so I will have to resurrect my little lab to sample the pulse.
I just saw something today that explained why I was getting (relatively) crappy range on my IR firing. I had the IR LED directly connected to the DIY arduino so that it was limited to Arduino power (20 mA). I should've using a transistor and ground/power to amplify the pulse like this example: http://www.instructables.com/id/Duino-Tagger/step4/Transmitter/

Also I saw this cool flamethrower pumpkin http://www.instructables.com/id/Flamethrowing-Jack-O-Lantern/and I think it would make an awesome addition to the battlefield. But instead of a pumpkin we will put it inside a plastic building!

What do you think?

Paulware:
But instead of a pumpkin we will put it inside a plastic building! What do you think?

Oh my. I think your insurance premium just went up.

Flame affect mockup of building or vehicle should probably be placed outside, surrounded by non-flammable rocks. Even better: Make a fenced off arena which has these kind of affects and don't let the patrons inside the arena. Sounds like a great kickstarter idea. Kids would love it. What boy doesn't like fire. yeah he he yea yea burn

Hi buddy!

Do not worry! My job stole all my time in last months and I could not play with my arduino. I hope I return to the scene in a few weeks.

I tried to find in my country the Yellow tank, but is hard to get here (for a just price). I will purchase from ebay/China probably.

About IR Transmitter, 20mA is really low (I was doing the same thing as you ^^) But 300mA sounds so much (for short intervals between pulses).

Fire is nice!!! But strykeroz is right... lol

I just saw this chasis. I've been waiting for a cheap base I think this could be used for a basic frame $12. Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking what do you think?

I just saw this chasis. I've been waiting for a cheap base I think this could be used for a basic frame $12.

Leave your browser open on that page for a couple of minutes, and they'll offer you a discount :slight_smile:

Sounds nice and cheap... I need to see how much will be the shipment to Brazil :~

The robotic things are expensive here =(

That looks very cheap compared to other platforms. Looking forward to your review, then might pony up for a couple.

Darn, shipping is outrageous, will have to wait until they stock this item in their US store.
I did however find this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160840372337?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 which is basically the same motor plus a wheel for $4 with free shipping.
I think this would make a nice robo/battlefield base.

I started a github repository located GitHub - Paulware/IRBattleField: Awesome IR battle stuff
It contains a schematic for the receiver that uses an nrf24l01 and has a place for an hbridge to control 2 wheels.
I'm going to order the pcb from iteadstudio so it will be a few weeks before I know whether it is correct.

Hi Paul

Nothing I have here is large enough to hide the RPi with DIY Arduino inside - have you tried to get them physically inside one of your iR tanks? And was there a reason you needed the extra horsepower of the RPi rather than doing it all within the Arduino code?

Geoff

Although you could possibly fit a raspberry pi inside a scale 1/16th tank I don't recommend it.
Remember, the raspberry pi is used for the controller. The controller will be connected to the transmitter.
In the tank itself you will place the receiver, and yes I've made very small receivers with diy Arduinos that fit in smaller than 1/16 tanks.

But back to the horsepower question. This was the easiest/quickest way for me to read wiimote/Bluetooth. I saw a link to a usb host shield solution, and I also have a Bluetooth shield that I would like to try. But I haven't had success yet.

Gotcha.

I've not got a bluetooth shield, but have used the bluetooth bees and seen the cheap bluetooth modules used too. Very straightforward, just send them commands much like the old-school AT modem controls.

cool to see arduino controlled by wiimote! Nice work!

I'm waiting the components to mount a minimal arduino and I can put inside my tanks (arduino mega is so big :))

When I have some time I'll post some pics and infos sbout my tank.

So..... (just to make sure I understand all this): if I solder wires to those seven points on my tank's board and then connect these to digital ports on my Arduino, I can control the tank's movement with e.g. an ultrasonic sensor, point the gun at e.g. a heat source, fire it if the cat walks in front of an ir heat sensor, etc.? I'm new to this stuff and a tad geriatric as well, so I need things spelled out to me... :slight_smile:

Wow its been more than a year since my last post.
I just finished testing out a new interface here is a list of components and why they were chosen.

1. Heng Long Scale 1/16 battle tank: Chosen because the pinouts to the board are known and lots of room to add components
    2)L298 H-Bridge: Chosen for price (about $3.00 on ebay), and it can also convert 7.2V battery to 5V for Arduino
    3)Access Point: Chosen for price (about $10.00 on ebay) and will allow udp communications from a Android Tablet
    4)ENC28J60 module: Chosen for price (about $4.00 on ebay) and has a decent library for udp
    5)Mini pro knockoff: Chosen for price (about $3.00 on ebay) and runs arduino code

A video and source code for android app and arduino mini pro will follow

I added an Android directory to GitHub - Paulware/IRBattleField: Awesome IR battle stuff which contains Android java code used to control a Scale 1/16 Heng Long Tiger tank
I added a youtube video: UDP Android Tank - YouTube